2008 Saturn Outlook steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 242016

I bought this car in Nov 2015 and by Jan 2016 had lost my power steering twice. Each time the dealer had to replace a hose. It was fine for about a month before starting to become very loud again. At this point I went back and forth with him and he finally replaced the pump and I paid a deductible. It has been 3 weeks and I lost my power steering again. The steering wheel is very squeaky while turning at slow speeds. There is clearly an issue going on that is causing these hoses to keep blowing, I am also reading similar issues by people all over the web. I have two children who I drive around all day long and I have been very lucky we haven't been in an accident due to this yet. Once it was on a very busy high speed road. While I do not know why this keeps happening, this is an issue that clearly needs GM's attention, and it should be fixed by GM. The first time I was parked and as soon as I put my car into reverse it popped, the second I was driving at almost 60mph, the third I was on a back road going around 30mph.

- Epping, NH, USA

Dec 172015

When coming out of my drive way I noticed it was hard to steered. I am having problems steering the truck to the right and left. The steering wheel is very hard. The tires always loosing air. The wipers or the windshield have very poor visibility.

- Stratford, CT, USA

Sep 102015

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. While driving 45 mph, the steering wheel pump failed and made it difficult to turn the vehicle right or left. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering wheel column caused the steering wheel pump to fracture. The failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 71,000.

- Richmond , CA, USA

Feb 112010

Outlook 6-cyl

I am writing this letter to express my disappointment with the Saturn Outlook. I purchased a 2008 Saturn Outlook xe from a local dealership in houston, tx. This car has been a nightmare. My list of problems/repairs: - it overheated twice. The first time it happened, I replaced the radiator cap. The second time it happened, I replaced the thermostat, which in turn caused the water pump to leak. - I replaced an engine solenoid valve. While inspecting my car, the mechanic also noticed I had a transaxle leak. - the throttle body shorted. - the brake master cylinder leaked. - I replaced the cv joints. Actually, the mechanic told me my front end needed repairing - cv joints, struts and steering bushing. I could only afford to repair the cv joints and am currently getting quotes for repairs on the struts. - I had an oil leak (from the oil pan). A car that is only 7 years old has had to have these kinds of repairs - and some within a couple of years of ownership. This is absolutely horrid! the NHTSA should google the reviews on this car. Owners complain of the same problems regardless of model/year (xe/xr, 2007-2010) - leaking roofs (luggage rack), brake master cylinder leaks, power steering issues, thermostat/water pump leaks, transmission issues, etc. GM's response to this has been abysmal. This car is a lemon. Instead of recalling it, GM would rather sparsely send recalls for specific failures a day late and a dollar short - after folks have spent their hard earned money on repairs. The NHTSA should launch an investigation into this. GM clearly covered up horrific supply chain, manufacturing and assembly issues and intentionally installed defective parts in these cars.

- Fresno, TX, USA

Dec 242014

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph, the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The contact discovered that the power steering hoses ruptured and the power steering fluid leaked from the vehicle. The contact replaced the hoses but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who replaced the hoses with oem parts but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the independent mechanic, who replaced the steering wheel pump and the rack and pinion but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Jul 152009

Outlook 6-cyl

The vehicle's engine shuts off and the steering column locks up. There is a rapid decline in speed and the volt meter drops to less then 11. I have to hope that my vehicle is not hit by oncoming traffic and that I do not guide the vehicle into something that will cause damage. The 2008 Saturn Outlook is an unsafe vehicle. I have had issues with the vehicle shutting off during operation on several occasions while driving in city traffic, highways and at toll locations including bridges and tunnels. I have taken the vehicle to several dealerships and contacted GM to no avail. If they cannot replicate the issue, then the issue does not exist.

- Nottingham, MD, USA

Apr 302013

Outlook 6-cyl

I had trouble turning the steering wheel and the steering made sounds when turning. The dealer found that the steering gear was leaking and it was replaced to the tune of $1,300. I received a letter from GM in September 2014 that "...some 2008 model year Saturn Outlook vehicles may develop a power steering pump wear condition that can cause an intermittent drop of power steering hydraulic pressure that will cause reduced or loss of steering assist." This seems to be the issue I had but when I took it back to the same dealer to be reimbursed for the work, I was told that the issue I had was a leaking steering gear and the issue in the letter was a power steering pump. I am surprised that one doesn't affect the other given the resulting issue is the same.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Jun 272014

Outlook 6-cyl

Went to make a U-turn and the steering wheel locked up. Jerked on it to get it working again. On around 10 occasions in the 18 months we've owned this vehicle, the steering wheel has locked up for no reason.

- Castle Hayne, NC, USA

Oct 132014

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds attempting to make a turn, a loud abnormal squeaky noise emitted from the steering column and excessive force was required in order to turn the wheel. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle had not been diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 112014

Outlook 6-cyl

While trying to pull in/out of my friveway my steering locked up. Any speeds under 20mph I can hardly turn wheel.

- Lyndhurst, OH, USA

Jul 092014

Outlook 6-cyl

The steering column squeaks when you turn the steering wheel slowly and backing up and turning into position slowly.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jan 012014

Power steering goes out at slow speeds and hard turns (pulling into parking spaces, three point turns, U-turns). While it might be an issue with a sub-system, similar issues in other GM cars have resulted in a recall. I've been to several dealerships, garages trying to diagnose the problem. GM has finally repeated the issue but is asking my extended warranty to cover it. Want to document the case so it can be determined if it is indeed similar to the recall above. Thank you

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 042014

Outlook 6-cyl

We were on vacation in the smokey mountains headed up the winding roads to our cabin when I was unable to turn the wheel. It was extremely scary as if we got 3 foot off the road we would have fell off the side of the mountain (as there were no guard rails). We tried to reverse, but the steering wheel would barely move. My husband reached over and we both tried with all our might to turn to make it back to the cabin we were staying at. After doing some research online, it seemed this had happened to several other people with the same vehicle. I called GM customer service the next morning as we were not sure we would be able to make it down the curvy roads to the bottom of the mountain. No dealerships in the area were open with it being a holiday (July 4th) weekend. They connected me with a dealership in Illinois who gave some advice. We were told that it would be best to have it looked at but that most vehicles with this issue turn easier with the accelerator being pushed. We didn't have 3 extra days to spend waiting for a GM dealer to take a look, so we thought we would try. We started out ok, but as we got farther down (15 minute drive from our cabin to the bottom) it got very hard again. We would slow down way before the curve so that we could accelerate through the curve and have the ability to turn the steering wheel. We safely made it out of town. GM customer service led us to believe they would cover most of the $1400 in repairs as the parts may have been made in the same factory as other vehicles with this type of recall. However, they did not cover any of it as no accident or injuries were caused by the problem.

- Effingham, IL, USA

Jun 042013

I bought my 2008 Saturn Outlook roughly 3 years ago. After having it only a few months I began to have steering issues. The steering all but locks up when I slow down to speeds below 25-30 mph. This is a huge safety problem!! I have 4 children and have had multiple close calls with this issue. I have been dealing with this problem for 2+ years! I might have had the money to have if fixed if I had not had to have the transmission replaced!!!! I had the transmission replaced summer of 2012......yet another issue that I find a lot of people complaining about! GM has had so many recalls!! where are the recalls for these problems?

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jun 222014

Outlook 6-cyl

I went through a puddle of water that was on the road. About 2-3 minutes after going through the puddle my power steering went out. The engine began to loose power as the battery light went out also. I waited about 2 minutes and the steering was restored. I did research and found out that other 2008 Saturn Outlook owners had this problem and there was a repair bulletin number 07-03-32-010. Which stated that water would get in this engine causing the above mentioned condition and that GM recognized this flaw and added an mudguard in subsequent year models. I called GM and they had no information on this service bulletin and suggested I go to a dealer for service.

- Olympia Fields, IL, USA

Oct 012013

Outlook 6-cyl

My 2008 Saturn Outlook started to lose steering at low rates or speed between 5mph to 15 mph. It becomes almost impossible to steer the vehicle when driving at low speeds. The steering will lock up and I took it to the dealer and told me it was the steering gear and steering pump; both need replaced. I know this is a known safety issue and need to have it replaced as I have a 5 month child and am unable to afford the $2000 cost that GM quoted me. I have researched this and it seems like this is a common issue. I am afraid to drive this vehicle due to the steering issue.

- Marysville, CA, USA

Apr 282014

Outlook 6-cyl

Recently having problems with the drivers side low beam headlight. When I took it in to the dealer to be looked at I was informed that the wiring harness had melted. To replace it will cost an upward of $400. Also having problems with the vehicles steering constantly squealing, not sure what is going on. And when going around turns the stability control makes a loud abrupt noise almost stopping the vehicle. I just can't believe all the problems I've been having with this vehicle in such the short amount of time I've owned it. I am a pregnant mother with 2 children already and I do not trust the safety of this vehicle!!

- Templeton, PA, USA

Feb 042014

Outlook 6-cyl

Power steering fails whenever there is a decrease in speed. Especially difficult when trying to turn into merging traffic.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Oct 012013

Outlook 6-cyl

I was driving and all the sudden my power steering stop working. It will go on and off and now as of 05/06/2014 it does it all the time.

- Harvey, LA, USA

Feb 172014

Outlook 6-cyl

I was driving my children to school when my power steering just stopped and I had to try and drive without it. I was told a month before it was the steering and pinion rack, got that fixed and there was two codes that popped up. I was told that one cancelled out the other which didn't make sense. Now the transmission needs work and they say that was the problem to begin with. I have spent so much money trying to fix this problem only to find out that it was the transmission along. I am very disappointed in GMC cause when I went to the dealer they suggested that I change part until they find the problem. I am pissed cause I still can't enjoy my truck anymore. My extended warranty is over and they dealer wants over 2000 grand to fix the transmission if that's what it really the problem. Looking online many people have had this issue and still no recall on the transmissions for Saturn Outlooks. Shame on you GMC.

- Cambridge, MA, USA