NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2009 Saturn Outlook (Page 1 of 2)

3.1

2009 Saturn Outlook electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Saturn Outlook:

2009 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 192016

Outlook

No sound from speakers including radio, turn signals and warning alarms. Disconnected wiring boots from all 4 doors; each had 1/4 cup of water in them (figured this out by reading numerous complains about this vehicle, the GMC acadia and the Buick enclave all having this issue). Taken to dealer who stated a corroded wire zapped the amplifier (which again has been complained about on numerous web forums). $1020 to fix it a the dealership. GM needs to make this a recall.

- Michigan Center, MI, USA

Apr 052016

Outlook

When I was entering moving traffic from a completely stopped position, a car was coming faster than I realized so I floored the accelerator and this is what happened: 1.all power to my car shut off and the car rolled forward slowing down. 2.all of the dashboard lights and symbols lit up. 3.my car jolted strongly once, sputtered (many times), and hiccupped (many times). The jolt was so strong that it threw me forward and made my seatbelt catch me. 4.at the same time as # 3, the gps rebooted itself 3 times in a row and all of the car door locks unlocked and locked themselves 3 times in a row. 5.I gently pressed the accelerator and the car accelerated but the car felt weak and I felt uncertain. I was not sure what would happen if I tried to accelerate normally so I put on my emergency blinkers and slowly drove home.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Oct 022015

Outlook

The wire harness for the front headlights fails after you change the build causing the light to short out.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 032015

Outlook

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, smoke started emitting from above the driver side of the vehicle. The vehicle engulfed into flames. The fire was extinguished by the fire department. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- O'fallon , MO, USA

Apr 152015

Outlook

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Outlook. While inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the front passenger side headlight was not working. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or independent mechanic. The light was replaced on various occasions, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000. The VIN was not available.

- Verona, PA, USA

May 012014

Outlook

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Outlook. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle began to experience a loss of acceleration which resulted in a loss of power without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic; however, the vehicle was unable to be diagnosed. The failure recurred 4 to 5 times. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000. The VIN was not available.

- Verona, PA, USA

Dec 012014

Outlook 6-cyl

When driving at highway speeds I notice the indication lamp in the dash where speed, temp and direction is lit, flashes on and off intermittently. Also that webbing in rear seat belts does not retract and is frayed through and may result is failure to restrain occupants. Dealership claims all the recalls were address prior to the sale of the vehicle (1 owner) before it's sell to me the consumer.

- Durand, MI, USA

Mar 272014

Outlook

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while attempting to turn, the steering wheel seized and failed to straighten out. Also, the door locks failed to unlock when exiting the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that a wire under the driver's seat malfunctioned and caused the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,948.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Jun 252014

Outlook 6-cyl

June 25, 2014: One week after we spent $1600 for an unresolved engine light issue we were somewhat hopeful that nothing else could go wrong with this vehicle. I went to unlock the car with the remote and it did not respond. My husband tried to jump start it and discovered that the battery was dead. The latest battery we purchased was in November 2013, so this was concerning to us. As we lifted the floor mat to get to the battery compartment we found mold. Once the battery cover was moved and the battery was removed we found about 2 inches of brown water at the bottom of the battery compartment. In addition, the battery which we kept had mold on it as well. We were blessed to have been at home when this occurred because the car was working the previous night with no issues. Had we been away from home this would have been a bigger issue because our children would have been with us in the hot, houston heat. This is safety concern because there is no reason that water should be in the bottom of the battery compartment. We have no idea how long the water was there and because of this I feel like we have to be cautious when it rains, even a little because the battery may die. I am glad we found this ourselves because we have pictures as evidence to support the issue. I have made this issue known to Saturn customer care.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 122012

Outlook

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that the air bag and traction control would activate and deactivate independently. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or a mechanic. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage was 75,000.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Mar 312013

Outlook

While driving home at night, the driver side headlight went out. Next day I bought new lamps and replaced both of them but the driver side headlight still didn't turn on. I did notice a burning smell coming from the harness and lamp socket on the driver side. It seems that the headlight had overheated and melted the wiring harness and some of the socket assembly. After doing some research I found that many people have had the same issue with these vehicles and believe that this should be considered a recall for safety reasons. This could potentially cause and electrical fire or a serious traffic accident while driving at night.

- Altadena, CA, USA

Jul 252012

Outlook 6-cyl

Transmission slips and car bucks, shutters, and skips at a RPM at around 1400-1600 RPM's.

- Doylestown,, PA, USA

Jul 102012

Outlook

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that the check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle would not accelerate over 30 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostics who advised that the drains in the pillars were clogged, causing a short in the fuse box. There was also mold and water under the front driver and passenger sides of the floorboard carpet. The mechanic stated the fuse box would have to be replaced and the wiring harness would have to be cleaned. The carpet would also need to be replaced. Prior to the failure, the contact noticed a strong fishy odor in the vehicle, which also stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics where the contact was advised that the vehicle was equipped with an incorrect battery. The battery was replaced. The contact stated the battery was the original battery when the vehicle was purchased. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

May 232012

Outlook 6-cyl Diesel

There was a leak that soaked the front passenger floor. Entire electrical system ultimately failed. Initially car continued to run with the key removed. Subsequent attempts to start vehicle resulted in key stuck in ignition and inability to start engine; battery only shows output of 4 volts!!!

- Bethpage, NY, USA

Apr 022012

Outlook

The headlight keeps flashing on and off. When starting the vehicle, one headlight does not come on until ~5 minutes later. The bulb is ok. The wiring harness is not ok. I've talked to many other owners of the Saturn Outlook and they have had the same instances. The root cause is a bad wiring harness. They are overheating and melting! my Outlook is now out of warranty and the dealer wants to charge me to replace the wiring harness. I've had the vehicle into the dealership when it was still under warranty for this issue. It is still not fixed. I am not paying for a poorly executed design issue. The engineers need to research more before they place a product in a vehicle of which can not withstand the conditions. Thank you.

- Cedar Falls, IA, USA

Sep 302010

Outlook 6-cyl

Driver side headlight is inoperable. I tried replacing the bulb, fuse and relay. From further investigation I think it is the socket that is bad. This should not happen at this many miles.

- Oxford, MI, USA

Oct 072009

Outlook 6-cyl

Right headlamp burnt out October 2009. Had replaced bad bulb and then failed again in November 2009. Took to dealership and was told they replaced the harness and bulb due to harness being melted. Now right headlight failed again 10-22-11. This is a big safety concern in that you can't just swap out the bulb but you have to pull off the front bumper just to replace the bulb. Thank you for your time.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Oct 132011

Outlook 6-cyl

Drivers side headlight and running lights went out.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Sep 102010

Outlook 6-cyl

The wire harness going to the low beam left and right sides burning causing the lights to go out prematurely.

- Sealy, TX, USA

Sep 222011

Outlook

Low beam headlight harness has completely melted resulting in bulb outages. First the passenger side and now two weeks later the headlight harness on the drivers side has melted. I am being told that this is a common problem and that eventually this should be a recall due to safety.

- Washington, IL, USA