2009 Saturn Outlook steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Saturn Outlook:

2009 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 192016

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Outlook. While the vehicle was at a mechanic for an unrelated repair, it was noticed that the steering shaft separated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and various parts of the steering assembly were replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 108,700.

- Pocatello, ID, USA

Mar 312016

The power steering is very difficult to control at low rates of speed.

- Albert Lea, MN, USA

Apr 052015

I have had my Outlook for roughly a year and a half ago now, and my power steering seems to go out when going a low speed and turning. It has caused me 2 accidents so far within months of each other, increasing my insurance to $460/mo. One was backing up, it stopped turning and it backed into a vehicle, and the other was parking, it stopped and I scraped against another. I see this is a common problem. Something needs to be done about this. This could potentially kill someone. I'm in Florida and we are allowed to turn left/right on green. God forbid someone is speeding while I'm doing a U-turn, because they would definitely smack into me since it's so hard to turn. I am quite sure I have the muscles I do from trying to turn my vehicle. It happens the most parking, U turns (or slow turns in general), backing up, and 3 point turns.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jun 272015

Loss of power steering at slow speeds. GM repair shop says it's a common problem. Power steering pump replaced under warranty but rack and pinion steering not cover even though the two items contribute to each others failure.

- Racine, WI, USA

Jun 052015

Travel us hwy when encountering rain condition vehicle had rear wheel loss of control into hydroplane, when attempting to correct steering into skid the steering failed to respond as if no power steering. The vehicle cruise control was on until point of first applying brake. The vehicle impacted ravine at frontal impactof grill atb high speed then flip side over side without one air bag deploying. Driver, passenger side, passenger/driver-side of seat, or pillar post air bags failed. The yellow airbag indicator light was always on and believed to be normal. After pressing on-star, emergency connection failed to which on-star claims antenna must of been damaged, though photos show intact. On star complaint about failure of system been on going since purchase. Complaint with ftc, state of Michigan sos (secretary of state) and dealership shortly after purchase Dec 24 2014 safety issues to include: Frayed seat bel, T power steering sloppy and noise, rear suspension. Dealer agreed to only address seat belt, and replace rear control bushing arm on one side. Suffered severe neck, spine compression fractures, head, knee, ankle, twisted intestine from seat belt, laceration to torso and other injuries requiring hospitalization. GM contact and opened complaint file for vehicle failures

- Durand, MI, USA

Apr 202015

The power steering is loud and hard to control at low speeds. I just took the car to the dealer after receiving a letter that says bring it in and have the power steering checked, but they said it was my gearbox leaking and it would only be $1600 to replace it not only that they charged $70 to tell me that.....this is after the $4500 transmission I just had replaced....all the other Saturn are recalled for this issue, they need to take back all Saturn and give discounts towards another car...these are garbage....thanks

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Mar 272015

Outlook 6-cyl

The headlight wiring harness melts in these vehicles causing the light to fail, this is well documented on the internet on various forums. Early this morning my wife was pulled over by a police officer for having one working headlight, I attempted to replace the bulb and it still does not work, information on the internet lead me to discover melted wires on the light fixture, this is a huge safety problem with this vehicle. There is also a well documented problem with the front end suspension, it fails prematurely and my Outlook is also having this problem. It also has power steering failure, the air conditioning system is failing, along with all the other safety systems that need recalled on this piece of GM junk pile. I have a wife, and beautiful two year old twin girls, who use this vehicle frequently, shame on GM for putting this thing on the road, the whole thing should be recalled and shredded for scrap, owners should be fully reimbursed the current value of vehicle.

- Broussard, LA, USA

May 072014

When turning at a low rate of speed steering gets hard making it very hard to turn. Doesn't happen every time.

- Stockbridge , GA, USA

Dec 192013

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that the power steering assist failed and excessive force was required in order to make any turns. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Pontiac , MI, USA

Apr 302012

Outlook 6-cyl

On 4/30/2012 my purchased new 2009 Saturn Outlook began experiencing difficulty steering. The dealer diagnosed it as a worn out steering gear. Subsequently, I had this replaced after owning the car for only 3 years and with only 40,226 miles. On 10/2014, while steering, a loud whirring noise occurred while exhibiting difficulty turning. Again, the dealership diagnosed it as and replaced the bad steering gear with only 71,183 miles. The same repair in two years is unacceptable. I recently received a letter from GM indicating that some 2009 Saturn Outlooks may develop a power steering pump wear condition that can cause an intermittent drop of power steering hydraulic pressure that will cause reduced of loss of steering assist. I inquired with the dealership of a correlation with the repairs I experienced and of course was told that there was none. I will be looking to contact GM customer service to escalate my concerns. Hopefully it helps. We love the vehicle when it is trouble free, but it has been an endless nightmare with multiple trips to the dealership service department for numerous other repairs. Luckily the others were covered under warranty, but were repairs that should not have been needed until much later in the vehicles life time.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jun 022014

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Outlook. While driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle lost power steering intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Westland, MI, USA

Mar 272014

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while attempting to turn, the steering wheel seized and failed to straighten out. Also, the door locks failed to unlock when exiting the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that a wire under the driver's seat malfunctioned and caused the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,948.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Jun 012014

Power steering assist goes out at low speeds in my 2009 Saturn Outlook causing potentially dangerous situations when turning and parking. I have had many close calls in the recent months, but thankfully have not had an accident yet. The issue is dangerous though and I panic every time I have to turn on a busy intersection. This has been recalled in other GM cars, including some Saturn, but not my particular model. My car has not even reached 100,000 miles yet. Please correct this issue for all known vehicles, GM.

- Mount Pleasant, MI, USA

May 302014

Outlook 6-cyl

The car has become increasingly hard to steer after being in a parked position. Once you move it out of a parked state the steering is very difficult but when you begin to drive it is okay.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jun 052014

Outlook 6-cyl

While making a left turn coming out of our neighborhood the steering wheel suddenly lost the ability the make a smooth turn. Not knowing what was happening, I had to force the wheel to turn left in order to make it across the street. The force on the steering wheel did not produce a full turn of movement, just enough to keep the car in the lane. Once I was in a lane I noticed that the steering wheel still had a resistant feel to it. During my drive I also needed to make a right turn and the same thing happened. With the right turn, I noticed that making a turn into the left lane felt less restrictive, but it still required unusual effort to make a turn. Each time I made a left or right turn I was prepared for the feeling of lost power and prepared to use force to make my turning successful. This of course is not what is supposed to occur while turning a vehicle. I have made this issue known to Saturn customer care.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 062014

July 6, 2014 ? RPM / mpg as I was in the hov lane I tried to accelerate. I could hear the car transitioning, but the rpms and miles per hour did not match. At 3300 RPM the car was stuck at 60 miles per hour and would not shift out of third gear. When I took my foot off the gas the car slowed down but the needle was still on 60 miles per hour. The car randomly jerked as if it was pushing itself from behind. When I was able to stop the RPM was 2200 and the miles read 20 even though I was not moving. In addition, I had a full tank of gas when I began driving and when I came to a stop of the gas had been used.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 302014

Outlook 4WD 8-cyl

We bought a used 2009 Saturn was "certified", in Sep. 2010. From guaranty Chevrolet in junction city or. It had 27872 miles on it. A month later I noticed a clunk in the steering at the end of turning. We returned the Saturn to the dealer for inspection and was told that is common in the Saturn and they couldn't find any thing wrong. At 52000 miles the power steering would occasionally be very hard to turn the steering wheel after making a stop, but once going it would be ok. On June 30 2014 we took it to capital Chevrolet dealer in salem or. They diagnosed it and said the power steering gear was going out and it is going to cost us $1800. To fix it. We have to get it fixed because it is a safety issue. We have read other complaints for this very same thing. There should be a recall on this part. I hope to be reimbursed for this $1800.

- Dallas , OR, USA

Jul 032014

Outlook 6-cyl

Vehicle turning at low mph was difficult. Took to dealership and they are stating the seals in the rack and pinion seals were leaking and rack and pinion needed to be replaced - $1,400.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 122014

Outlook 6-cyl

GM said the power steering rack is leaking and would cost about $1900.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Apr 042014

Outlook 6-cyl

I took my car into the GMC dealership for a leaking water pump. After the inspection, they informed me that the power steering rack was leaking fluid and that it would cost $1,465 to replace the power steering gear. The service person we spoke to said this is happening to a lot of the Saturn Outlooks and most people are not fixing it. My complaint is that if they are frequently seeing this issue appear, when does this become a recall since this is a GM car and we have been experiencing a high number of recalls already on our vehicle. I am asking that the NHTSA investigate the power steering rack internal seal leak on the Saturn Outlook vehicles to ensure this isn't a more prevalent problem on this vehicle. Thank you.

- Barrington, IL, USA