NHTSA — Power Train: Automatic Transmission Problems

2.0

2002 Saturn SC1 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Saturn SC1:

2002 Saturn SC1 Owner Comments

Sep 182008

SC1

2002 Saturn SC1 lost engine--oil in coolant at 80,000 miles. The mechanic that disassembled the engine stated that the camshaft journals were worn so bad that the engine could not be re-built. Replaced engine 5 months ago, last week, auto transmission stopped engaging reverse gear. Discussed with local Saturn dealer who offered no help. This is my daughter's car. My car--2002 Saturn SC2 had to have an engine overhaul at 46,000 miles due to burned valves in #2 cylinder. Extended warranty covered repairs. Oil consumption prior to overhaul was excessive (qt every 1000 miles--dealer said normal) my automatic transmission has an intermittent extremely rough downshift, which was reported to Saturn dealers 4 times while in warranty. Each time, they said they could not duplicate the problem. Our family bought the car new, and recommended maintenance has been performed. At this time, I feel that Saturn has some well documented problems with both the single cam and twin cam engines, as well as the automatic transmissions.

- Marietta, GA, USA