2001 Saturn SL1 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Saturn SL1:

2001 Saturn SL1 Owner Comments

Nov 222004

When the engine is cold and the weather is cold, shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear causes the gears to make a very short in duration grinding noise. This also happens if I downshift from 4th gear to 3rd gear. The problem does not occur if I shift very slowly. Now this is not a problem unless I am in traffic. It is difficult to shift slowly because of all the yahoos out there who believe they are driving a rocket propelled vehicle that must leave the intersections at or above the speed of sound. Well now I am just complaining. Anyway, as I wrote above, the grinding noise only happens if the engine is cold and when the weather is cold. At around 30,000 miles Saturn replaced some fork thing because of the same problem which was much worse then. Is this the same problem coming back to haunt me? Is this something I need to have looked at? I am a single Mom with no cash reserves and don't want to do anything that requires me to sell either my dogs or children. Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thanks much.

- , Rockford, IL, USA