Leaking Coolant

9.0

1. replace water pump (2 reports)
1996 Saturn SL2 cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Saturn SL2:

1996 Saturn SL2 Owner Comments

Mar 302007

SL2

Coolant was leaking from what seemed to be the rear of the engine. After crawling underneath, removing part of splash shield on wheel well, checking water pump and then behind the engine with a small mirror I couldn't determine where the leak was originating. Brought it to a mechanic who deemed it to be the water pump - said coolant was coming out of the machine hole. I sure couldn't find it when I was looking - believe me, I was looking everywhere with you name it - engine on, engine off, underneath, in front, in back, etc. But he replaced the water pump and now is okay.

- , Deland, FL, USA

Aug 302006

SL2

My radiator was leaking, so I had it replaced (for $600). Less than a month later, the cooling system was leaking again, from the other side of the car. I took it to the mechanic and had to replace the thermostat ($100). Five months after that, my car is back at the shop because coolant is practically pouring out of the reservoir. I was having to add more coolant every time I got in the frigging car. I was literally spending more on radiator fluid than I was on gas! Now the mechanic says it's my water pump, which is going to cost $250. This crappy car is barely worth what I've spent to fix it!

- , Metairie, LA, USA