NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2.1

2003 Saturn Vue lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Saturn Vue:

2003 Saturn Vue Owner Comments

Jul 042012

Vue 6-cyl

While returning on a trip and using the turn signal normally, there were several incidents in which the turn signal sounded like it was working at about twice the normal rate, however there was no indication that the turn lights were coming on. On one particular instance, when this happened, the turn signal got extremely warm to the touch and smoke was observed coming from the switch. There were several subsequent incidents during this trip and on subsequent days, but only the one in which the switch actually smoked (which is why I indicated a fire above). When I called Saturn (GM dealership) about this, they mentioned that a similar switch was under recall, but not this one. After having replaced the turn signal switch, I had asked if Saturn wanted the defective unit. Surprisingly, Saturn didn't seem too concerned and asked me to contact the dealership. The dealership, in turn, told me that all they could determine is that there was a problem with the switch and to contact Saturn customer service. I am quite certain that if we hadn't corrected the issue (which is difficult to describe) that a more dangerous situation could've been caused, and that this switch design is faulty and may pose a safety (thermal) concern. I have kept the old switch and will gladly provide it to NHTSA if requested to do so. I didn't feel it safe to keep using the old switch, and while the cost was rather minimal to have it replaced, I'm surprised that Saturn didn't offer to reimburse me and as I stated previously, didn't request the faulty part to be returned. I have not had any similar incidents since replacing the switch, which certainly corrected it. The part number listed on the old switch is shown as being AR339790736/22679804. In order to not cause the switch to go into the mode described above, it was best to not use the turn signal any more than possible.

- Grabill, IN, USA

Jun 172009

Vue 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Saturn Vue. While driving various speeds, all of the instrument panel gauges and daytime running lamps fail; however, the engine continues to operate. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop and the technician stated that the master control panel was failing. The vehicle is in the process of being repaired; however, the part is currently on backorder with the manufacturer. The manufacturer will be notified. The vehicle is currently not being driven. The failure and current mileages were 80,100. Updated 08/27/09 updated 08/31/09.

- South Attleboro, MA, USA

Oct 092003

Vue 4-cyl

The headlight and daytime run lights burn out when it rains... instead of finding out the cause of the problem is, the dealer just replaces the bulbs and sends me on my way. The following rainy day, there I am back at the dealer with the same problem. So far this will be the third time, not including the problems with the drivetrain/rear diff that had to be replaced, the dash and cabin rattles that none can seem to fix, and the transmission that once left me stranded at a stop sign.

- Yonkers, NY, USA