NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2005 Saturn Vue (Page 2 of 3)

1.7

2005 Saturn Vue electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Saturn Vue:

2005 Saturn Vue Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 192014

• 1,397,500 miles

I was leaving work, I entered my car, put the key into the ignition and attempted to turn the key. The key would not turn. The ignition was locked and there was no unlocking it. I called several tow companies as this had happened a year earlier and a tow company came out, sprayed the ignition with wd-40 and it turned right away. I tried the wd-40 before calling the tow company and it did nothing. When the tow truck arrived, he had made a statement that he had seen this a lot with these SUV's. he got the key into the auxiliary position and hit it the key with the hard end of a butt of a knife. This made the ignition slip to the "on" position. I could then turn the key and start the truck. I do not have the money to have this ignition replaced. I feel that this ignition should be replaced as just because it has not had an accident yet, there is obviously a defect with this ignition. The steering column was locked until the key could be turned to the "on" position. I have to leave the key in the ignition at this time so, that I can start the truck and get to work. I am told it will be close to $300 to repair this defect!.

- Milton, FL, USA

Jul 022011

Vue

Keys get stuck in ignition not always intermittent and for no reason 5 times since I have had the car.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jul 152014

Vue 6-cyl

Had key in ignition car was running in the on position and I was able to pull the key out.

- Depew, NY, USA

May 132014

Vue 4-cyl

I can remove the key from the ignition while the car is still running. Also, there are times the ignition will physically not turn so that I can crank the vehicle.

- Shelby, NC, USA

Jul 112014

Vue

My key came out of the ignition while in drive and the car didn't shut off. Since then it is difficult to get the key to turn the ignition. The key needs to be wiggled and played with to turn the car on every time I want to start it. The 2005 Vue needs to be added to the recall.

- Lindenhurst, NY, USA

Jun 012012

Vue

The ignition key became very hard to turn on I had to wiggle key around to finally get it to turn. Since that time the key has to be wiggled around every time you want to start the vehicle. Also the key can be pulled out without shutting the vehicle off. If you are not careful to turn the ignition switch completely off before removing the key it is very difficult to get the key slot realigned in order to place the key into the ignition. The key has also fallen out of the ignition while driving.

- Haileyville, OK, USA

Aug 032014

Vue

We can easily pull the key from the ignition while the car is running. We have a 2005 Saturn Vue which needs to be added to the recall. This has been going on for years but I just listed the latest date and time. We can pull out the key at any time.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 012012

Vue

It is difficult/close to impossible to get the key out of the ignition, or to even turn it all of the way to the "off" position. The key is easily removed if the car is still running.

- Romeoville, IL, USA

Jul 152014

Vue 4-cyl

My son currently drives this vehicle and he mentioned that the key will come of the ignition with the engine in the running mode. This has happened several times and I have brought it to the GM customer service rep that handles the GM ignition recalls. I was advised that the VIN number does not fall in the recall list and was advised to take the vehicle to a GM dealer and have it repaired out of pocket expense.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Jul 242014

Vue 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Vue. The contact stated that the ignition switch would not release the vehicle key however, the key could be removed when the vehicle was in motion. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the vehicle was not included in any recall campaigns. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for repairs. The approximate mileage at the time of failure was 83,000. Updated 9/29/14

- Rhinelander , WI, USA

Jul 142013

Vue

The key became increasingly difficult to turn the car on. I had to jiggle for some time to get it to work. These times have become much more frequent and more difficult to turn the key. I was also able to remove the key once it was started and the car continued to run. I found this out by chance and now it just slides in and out when running!!! well it finally happened and no matter how hard or how many times I have tried, the key won't work at all. I will have to have it towed in the morning to have this fixed now.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Feb 202014

Vue 4-cyl

Key can be taken out of ignition while driving and the car still be on and running and or being driven. At any time after starting the car the key can taken out and it not affect the running of the car at all. It also is hard to turn the key to start the car. You have to wiggle the key around before it recognizes the key and then it will finally turn to be able to start the car.

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

Jul 202010

Vue

Since I have had my 2005 Saturn Vue I have had problems. My shifting linkage has gone our several times. Leaving me in whatever gear I'm in. This had happened on the freeway at 65mph three (3) times! coming down a hill at 50mph my transmission shifted from 5th to 2nd! that blew my clutch! ($2000) my linkage was fixed (theoretically) by three dealerships which did not last. One only six (6) months! my 5th gear and reverse disappeared in March of 2014 ($1600) then again my linkage cables wouldn't work ($448) and I had them replaced.finally my shifting fork for three (3) gears had to be replaced, that was another $336! on top of all this my ignition, after a year of owning this car, I bought it new, my key would fall out if my knee hit it. While the engine was running! if I turned the key to the locked position it would take several jiggles to get it to turn to the right! when I took it the last two (2) for transmission fixes the shop could not start the car! I had to bicycle 3 miles to the shop to get it started! the shifting linkage, transmission and key have always been a problem! I am thinking of suing GM!

- Van Nuys Ca, CA, USA

Mar 032012

Vue 4-cyl

Key falls out when driving. Hard to turn car off and on. Have had car turn off after going over a speed bump after the key fell out. Locked up the steering and brakes. Went to the dealership and they gave me an estimate of $600 to replace the ignition cylinder. All these symptoms are exactly what the symptoms are for the cars that have been recalled in the past few months. Please make them include Saturn Vue, as the part is the same that's been recalled on the ion.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Jun 032013

Vue 6-cyl

The key can be removed from the ignition when the vehicle is in drive. I contacted GM on June 19, 2014 at 1 800 222 1020 and talked to a customer service representative and she indicated the VIN is not part of the recall, but I could take the vehicle to a GM dealership but the repair would most likely not be covered. I let her know that is not acceptable since it appears to be the same problem that the Saturn ions are experiencing which are part of the recall. Why aren't the 2005 Saturn Vue's part of the recall? it appears from reading other Vue's owner complaints that this is an issue.

- Madison, WI, USA

Jun 182014

Vue 4-cyl

Wife removed key from ignition while the ignition was in the on position.

- Laverkin, UT, USA

May 162011

Vue 6-cyl

The key gets stuck in the ignition and will not come out. Other times it falls out of ignition while car is driving down the road.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Jun 112012

Vue 4-cyl

Ignition will not start the engine key appears to be stuck. The key can be easily removed from the ignition while the car?S engine is on. I have had to play with the key for up to five minutes in order to start the car.

- Winterville, NC, USA

Aug 132013

Vue 6-cyl

Due to problems inserting and removing ignition key, I had the key cylinder replaced. The cost was $254.04. This was the same problem GM replaced the key cylinder on my 2006 Saturn ion under the recall at no cost to me. I contacted GM through their recall website and they informed me there was no recall or compensation for my 2005 Saturn with exactly the same problem as in the national recall on my ion. This is my complaint.

- Ludington,, MI, USA

May 012012

Vue 6-cyl

I was looking at the recent recalls for Saturn and noticed many other customers with the key falling out of the ignition. Like everyone else this has been a long time sufferance and the shop offered no solution only spray with wd 40. Both key do the same and again no extra weight has been added to the key apart from the door lock.

- Fremont, CA, USA