2007 Saturn Vue engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Vue:

2007 Saturn Vue Owner Comments

Aug 262015

Engine makes a lot of noise when starting up and while driving, also the gas gage don't register

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Aug 152014

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Vue. While driving 55 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but failed to respond. The vehicle lost power. The vehicle was restarted and loss of engine power error message displayed. In addition, the contact was unable to lock or unlock the doors. On another occasion, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that there was a communication failure, but the technician was unable to determine what part needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Denton, NC, USA

Dec 212015

While merging onto a highway I lost all power. No engine, lights, etc. Almost got run over. Opened hood and replaced the 30 amp ignition fuse and car started. Took to GM dealer and they could not find a problem and original fuse was not blown either. Also hard to turn the ignition key at times. Is this a recall? if not it should be as this was a serious mishap where we could havebeen killed! the car has 54K miles and this was on 12-21-2015 and I took it to the dealer on 12-22-2015.

- Orange City, FL, USA

Aug 012015

Upon a cold start, when the vehicle has rolled about ten feet, forward or reverse, with no input on the accelerator, there is a whir from the engine compartment, akin to a stepper motor noise, and the vehicle accelerates on its own. In reverse, applying the brakes stops the car, and then selecting drive, the vehicle responds to the accelerator correctly. The same thing happens in forward, but in most cases the accelerator is engaged to move forward. The problem does not seem to occur when the car is warmed up and being driven under normal use. In reviewing the shop manuals, there is an electronic throttle control motor, which I assume is a stepper type motor, in the throttle body assembly. This is controlled by the throttle actuator control(tac) and the power control module(PCM). I assume that the motor is failing, but have not experienced a reduced engine power mode or engine shutdown mode event. If this part is failing it should be covered by the emission warranty of 8 years/80,000 miles, but unfortunately the car is 9 years old. I will approach my dealer and Saturn about possible coverage under warranty, but have had difficulty with them in the past. I feel this is a safety issue, as it can catch a driver unaware and create a possible accident scenario.

- Paonia, CO, USA

Jan 192015

Vue 4-cyl

My ignition cylinder needs replaced. My keys are coming out of the ignition with the car still on, does not matter whether in park or not, my key will slide out. So now I have to get this fixed but while I wait to have it fixed, I have to always make sure my car is in park or an accident could happen.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jan 032015

While pulling out of a parking space, the timing chain tension slipped and broke. This caused broken rocker arms and internal engine damage. The result is to replace the entire engine! at a cost of $5,000 this leaves me in a dilemma, should I junk the car (which I bought 1 1/2 years ago for $7,500) and put the $5,000 toward a new used car. I noticed there was a recall for this exact failure for Saturn Vue, but not for my model year.

- Milford, MI, USA

Sep 262014

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Vue. The contact stated that while at a stop light, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 113,000.

- Wilmington , DE, USA

Jul 262012

My Vue has mysteriously started emitting a strong scent of fuel before I could get it into a day alert to diagnose and service it I was on the road when a fire started in the rear of my vehicle filling it with smoke. I pulled over and my boyfriend extinguished the flames but my brake light and dash light and instrumentation had been damage from electrical harnesses frying. Also needed to replace fuel pump return system and float as they were the initial cracked cause. Very scary thank god and jesus my baby girls weren't in the car or that worse had happened.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

May 282014

Vue 4-cyl

The ignition will lock up and you have to move the steering wheel back and forth while you are turning the key trying to get to start. When driving down the road (usually in 4th gear) the gas peddle will stop working, you can put it all the way to the floor and get nothing. I usually can push the clutch in and make it work again.the passenger airbag will come on when no one is sitting in the seat.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Apr 012014

The air bag light comes and goes. Then when driving down the freeway the car just up and died. Had to restart it. I have also had it not pick up speed when I push the peddle. After Ram drop then I can pick up speed this is something I have had going on for a while. No one can find out why.

- Federal Way, WA, USA

Aug 022010

Ignition key fell out of ignition while vehicle was in motion. It has happened several times since over the years. It can easily be removed from the ignition even when in the park position. Key can come out of ignition no matter if the key is new, a copy, or showing any wear. I have never kept anything other than one house key and the manufacturer's fab attached since I first took ownership of this vehicle.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

Feb 032014

Vue 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Vue. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. The vehicle did not restart. The vehicle was towed an independent mechanic who did diagnostic testing, however could not duplicate the failure. The contact also stated that the engine light continuously illuminated in the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who replaced the fuel emission cap but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 86,591. Updated 9/11/14 updated 1/20/2015

- South Ozone Park, NY, USA

Nov 202013

Vue 6-cyl

Key can be removed from the ignition when the ignition is not in the off position and while driving the car. When I was driving the key fell from the ignition and the car was still running...I was able to put the key back in the ignition. This has happened on several occasions and I can pull the key from the ignition while the car is running.

- Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Feb 132013

Inserted the key into the ignition switch but I was unable to turn the ignition to start the vehicle. I took the vehicle to a mechanic who said that the key needed to be replaced and the key was replaced, I replaced the key but the defect recurred. It happens on a daily basis, whenever I go to try and start the car. The vehicle was repaired on two occasions but did not rectify the issue. The mechanic said something was wrong with the way the ignition switch was placed in the car.

- Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Mar 242014

I went outside on a cold morning and attempted to crank my 2007 Saturn Vue. The engine would not start. I had it towed into a shop and was told that the timing chain snapped which caused engine failure. I took it to another shop for a second opinion and they said the same thing and that it would cost over $5,000 to repair it. I've done research since then and apparently GM has had this issue with Saturn Vues before. Timing chains are not designed to wear out, particularly not at under 100K miles. My vehicle was well maintained. I had no prior indication that anything was wrong, no check engine light or anything. It I had been driving when it snapped it could have been extremely dangerous or fatal. This is a safety issue and GM should take measures to prevent this from happening. There have been recalls issued on Saturn Vues with similar issues in the past, but clearly the recalls need to be expanded to include the 2007 model year and any other years affected. Thank you.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Jan 262014

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Vue. The contact was driving approximately 55 mph in cruise control. The brakes were applied but the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not taken to dealer. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,583.

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

Oct 142013

Vue 6-cyl

My truck only had 60,000 miles on it. While driving home I began to noticed some smoke coming from the hood of the truck. Being only a block away from the house I proceeded to the stop sign. I was going to park and check it out thinking that it was something minor. Just as I was about to turn the corner the unthinkable happened. While at the stop sign the smoke quickly ignited into flames under the hood of the truck. I quickly pulled over in front of my house. Turned off truck, jumped out and ran to the side yard for the hose. I yelled out for my wife call the fire department. She called immediately and I tried to control the fire until the police and fire truck arrived. I was afraid that it would explode and damage other cars around it. The fire spread under the hood of the truck, under the car and quickly into the interior though the dashboard. There was no warning of a problem with the vehicle. My wife is pregnant and we had just driven to her doctors appointment earlier that day in the truck and it drove well. There was no indicator light on to warn me of any problem with the engine, fuel or any other vehicle hazards. The car has not been in any accidents and has been maintained well. I did not receive any mail or email notification about recalls that disclosed a problem with this vehicle. The next day I retraced my path home and saw a trail of fluid in the street that lead to the spot that the car finally ended up in. So some kind of leak and engine failure took place that caused this awful fire.I am just so glad that I made it out alive and that it didn't happen to her while she was driving because she usually drives this vehicle. I need to know what recourse I have now to deal with this matter.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 302013

Engine died at 89,000 miles rocker arm assembly fell apart both of them valve was bent, timing chain came loose just went to start vehicle and it wouldn't start towed in to a dealership to have it checked and found it to be engine I tried to go through GM to help with this it was out of warranty a little over a year nothing else has went wrong with the vehicle ever and I have had oil changes no reason for it to fall apart and 4800 dollars later I feel it was a defect in the engine itself I have read other defects on this 2.2 litre engine of coarse no help from manufacturer even though its a 2007 car the engine is made separate from when a car is made I have not heard of too many vehicles with a dead engine this early...

- Jefferson, OR, USA

Jul 202012

Vue 6-cyl

I bought this 2007 Saturn Vue V6 AWD in July 2012 from brighton Ford, brighton mi noticed a slight vibration when test driving. Less than a week after I buy it the ac goes out, and the shuttering gets worse. Take it back to them to look at and get referred to a tire shop. Was told the ac coil had a huge leak, and was probably "topped off" at by the dealer and that there was some tire wear issues. Brighton Ford refused to fix anything. Drive it for about a year the shuttering gets worse and worse take it in to bud kouts Chevrolet, lansing, mi for a check engine light that came on, it was because of a miss fire in two of the cylinders. Told them about the shuttering, was told nothing was wrong. 28 days later I have a tire explode, told there was nothing wrong. Take it back after finding a huge hole in the shock absorber casing. This time speaking with the dealership owner directly, after two days they finally found the cause of the shuttering, a bad torque converter. They admitted that this is an issue on the these vehicles, but still want about $2000 to fix it. If there is not a recall on this there should be. I will never by a GM made vehicle again. I've owned three now and have had nothing but problems with them. The Subaru I owned had well over 200,000 miles and no issues the same goes for a Mazda I owned.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Feb 262013

Vue 4-cyl

I bought this car in July 22, 2012 in city Kia in orlando( used car) with 37,299 miles on this day.2007 Saturn Vue. In March 2013 I took a ride from kissimmee to miami and when I came back home and got off the turnpike I heard a big sound under my car and it stared to slow down until it stopped completely in the middle of the street, I had it towed to a repair shop and they said it was the transmission, they fixed for $1,926. I also has some electrical problems, once in a while the radio goes randomly changing channels by itself and when I open or close the windows it sounds like it looses electricity, and also a leak from the air conditioner compressor is leaking a green fluid, also the airbag goes on sometimes but eventually turns off.

- Kissimmee , FL, USA