NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2008 Saturn Vue (Page 2 of 4)

2008 Saturn Vue drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Vue:

2008 Saturn Vue Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jun 252014

Vue 6-cyl

Purchased a certified used vehicle Saturn Vue 2008. Was told by sales man it had a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty and 2 year on the power train. Just after my 1 year mark my transmission went out. I took it to the dealer and felt assured at least it was under warranty, only to find out it, that is was only covered for 1 year on the power train, I was very displeased to have the transmission go out with only 50K miles on it. After speaking with several "managers" about the problem and how I felt they should cover it under the warranty, they finally agreed to absorb some of the cost, I paid 1K dollars for the transmission, while my car was being worked on they did the service that it was due such as rotating tries etc. On my way home from the dealer my air conditioning stopped working :( now it works off and on, then a day later my low tire sensor comes on, showing my tire pressure system is faulty. Really"?" now when I make a left turn, my traction control/ABS warring lights come on and ding. Wow why as this car not been recalled for all of these problems I now find so many other people having same issues to the tee, this is a common problem with these cars. Now I remember why my 3 previous vehicles have been Toyota and Honda's I paid 5K down all the money I had buy a certified car thinking it would last me longer than 1 year. I was wrong and I owe more on it now that I am sure it is worth.

- Bakersfield , CA, USA

Sep 242014

Vue 6-cyl

Driving on interstate 10 pensacola fl heading northwest going 70-75 miles an hour semi truck about 2 car lengths behind me I M int the right lane cars to my left traffic is heavy 3:45 in the pm. My car makes chunk then a bump engine shuts off no power no power steering semi locks up his brakes almost hits me pulled the car to side of the road. After I collected myself car wont turn over no smoke or fluids popped the hood nothing to indicate what happened. Had it towed to vinnc whibbs I was told the engine locked up no reason why. Put a new engine in found out in fact it was the transmission which caused the engine to lock up. I did research on this and come to find out it is a defective part in GM cars int the transmission the 35R wave plate has not been properly heat treated and can cause transmission failure it affects hundreds of thousands of cars 2007-2009 Saturn. Taverse, acadia, outlook, Malibu, arura. GM knows about this defect but wont do a recall. This is wrong as a consumer im suppose to be protected by law from defective products. This dept the NHTSA has looked in to this issue and your dept has detirmened it to be a defective part but no safety issues, I be G to differ I was almost in a terrible accident due to this defective part. Once again GM has a defective product, and no one is doing anything about it how many lives lost does it take before we take action.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Nov 212014

Vue 6-cyl

Pulled out from a stop sign, at normal speed. And the car wouldn't shift out of second gear. Pulled over right away to avoid an accident. The car was in very good running condition with reg maintenance on car. I had a small child in the car with me at this time. I had to make it home going 5-10 mph. This should have not happened at this low of miles and reg maintenance on car. Why is there no recall?

- Myerstown, PA, USA

Sep 172014

Vue

Car is not shifting appropriately when going into reverse. Also notice issues when driving where car appears to struggle shifting to third gear. Has stalled out.

- Saint Paul , MN, USA

Sep 252014

Vue

The C5 plate in the transmission snapped causing my vehicle to not shift into gear. No reverse either. Car would not go over 30, RPM's were high. Engine light came on. Cost to fix $1794. Researched problem, bunch of complaints came up, same problem, same make, model, and year. Transmission exchange in lackawanna NY verified that he has done similar vehicles with same transmission, same problem. I'm a single mother needing to get back and forth to work. This should have been labeled a recall being it's a manufacturer malfunction.

- Angola , NY, USA

Jul 112014

Vue 6-cyl

Repair shop says that the wave plate has cracked and is now causing transmission problems. This appears to be some type of small defective part that when it fails results in a new transmission needed. This known issue is all over the internet and also my transmission shop says they have had multiple transmission repairs due to this issue. Is there anyway that we have recourse with GM?

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Sep 032014

Vue

repairpal.com/transmission-fault-andor-check-engine-light-with-code-P0716-P0776-P0717-P0777-P2714-P2715-an-567 how is the transmission not being recalled! someone is going to get seriously hurt. Does it take a death before anything is done? good grief!!

- Maineville, OH, USA

Aug 222014

Vue 6-cyl

Vehicle stalled while driving, was able to safely pull over to side of road. After vehicle was restarted, it would shift into different gears but would not move. Dealer repair service center states: "38909 transmission 3-5-R waved plate broken and damaged" parts replaced: Seal kit, gaskets, nut, valves, cover, spring, piston, housing, piston, plate kit, plate times 2

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Mar 062014

Vue

Transmission complete failure @ 57520 miles. Technician at Chevrolet dealership stated several GM vehicles use this transmission and has seen multiple transmission failures, caused by the same part. The 3-5 reverse clutch plate is the common component causing the failure. The NHTSA should require GM to recall all vehicles with this transmission and require them to repair the problem, free of charge to the consumer. Pulled out from a gas station, transmission shifted to 2nd gear. A loud bang!, Vue (now aka: Chevrolet captiva) stuck into same gear, lucky for us, people slowed down, Vue would not go over 20 mph.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Mar 262009

Vue 6-cyl

Manufacturer recall to reprogram the BCM, then they replaced the power train control module at the same visit. How and where do I attach an excel spreadsheet with the 30 repairs, some major since ownership of this vehicle?

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Aug 112014

Vue

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Vue. The contact stated that transmission failed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the transmission was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 90,470.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Mar 182013

Vue 4-cyl

I'm experiencing an engine light on all the time. Regardless of, the weather and after having my vehicle check for maintenance work. Had a vehicle diagnostic done and the results was a code 10. Which means cam actuator solenoid, 2008 Saturn Vues are known for this problem. Replace that part the engine have to be taken apart. This engine light stays on constantly. It been on since March 2014, if this problem is not handle my vehicle will start having problems starting and shutting down without my control while driving. This is a power drive and ignition/starter problem. Can you please research this issue and assist me with this matter. All the dealer did since I couldn't buy a new vehicle was sent me on a test drive and while I was gone they went under the hood and made the light go off. That work for only a hour. Please response. Thanks.

- Houston , TX, USA

Jul 082014

Vue 6-cyl

While accelerating to enter freeway engine speed increased to high revs and would not shift into higher gear for higher speed had to pull out of fast traffic as car would not accelerate. When car was parked and started again, could not get it to go in reverse. This has happened several times since then.

- North Aurora, IL, USA

Jun 242014

Vue 6-cyl

This car was purchased on 4/4/2009 with 13,936 miles on it. As of the date of the incident, there are 71,694 miles on the car or 57,758 miles driven (average 11,550 per year). This car was well kept and had the appropriate maintenance done. The first thing that failed on the car was the keyless start. It failed less than seven months after purchase. Last winter, we noticed the electronic stability failed and no longer worked. On 6/24/2008; the transmission failed. We get the transmission fluids checked every oil change and everything seemed to be working fine. Two weeks ago, the car started making rubbing noises until now the transmission actually failed. Car transmissions should last at least 100K miles. With the history of Saturn Vues having transmission issues, this one has now failed us.

- South Euclid, OH, USA

Oct 082013

Vue 6-cyl

My 2008 Saturn Vue steering failed and almost got into accident with only 40,000+ miles back in Oct 2013, got it fixed that cost me close to $1000 and now June 2014 transmission failed with only 50,000 miles and was quoted $4,500 worth of repair which is to replace transmission, checked online regarding problem and looks like its a common issues on this model and other models as well of GM which have the same transmission, just wondering how come no one issues a recall on this. Thanks...

- Westland, MI, USA

Jun 122014

Vue

Driving on highway, pulled into get gas, came back out and transmission would not get out of second gear. Lucky for us, we were not far from home. Took car into a reliable transmission specialist, he indicated the 3-5 reverse drum wave plate was our problem. He has seen many of these come in with the same problem. No recalls, so the bill ended up being $3500. He indicated this is a know problem with this year vehicle, did not know why GM has not sent out a recall. Was an excellent car up until now. Knowing this is a problem it should be addressed. Only 52,000 miles driven.

- Lexington, KY, USA

May 152014

Vue

Driving at speed and the transmission jerks causing the vehicle to slow down in traffic. Very scary feeling to not know what is causing your vehicle to suddenly fail and loosing control of your speed during travel. To have such a vital part able to fail in such a critical functioning of the vehicle is dangerous and potentially dangerous to drivers on the roads as well as the occupants of the vehicle. Please don't allow this to become a fatality before action is taken. The wave plate on these GM vehicles is breaking inside the transmission. Causing complete in motion failure of vehicle at speed. Thank you for what you do.

- Clarksville , TN, USA

Jun 142014

Vue 4-cyl

First incident- as I tried to park my car on a street going up hill, the car even though it was on drive kept moving backwards I had to right away stepped on the brakes and hit the gas so it would go forward making the car jump and almost crash into the car parked in front of me. Second incident - I parked in a parking lot going up hill as I tried pulling out of the spot, my car was in reverse, as I hit the gas pedal the car went forward, I had to again hit the brakes really bad and place the car in park then in reverse again.... and hit the gas very very slowly to make sure this time my car was going backwards at the reverse. Third incident- to get home I have to go thru a steep hill which has a traffic light at both ends, when ever I get stop going up he hill on the light the car goes backward when it's on drive and when U get stuck going down the car stops when I got the gas pedal all the way in and the car keeps rolling.

- Maspeth, NY, USA

Jun 022014

Vue 6-cyl

Upon trying to accelerate, the "kicked" and jerked, then slowed slightly. When traveling uphill, and parking, transmission seemed not to have enough power. Rolls backwards while idle before taking off.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Apr 122014

Vue 6-cyl

On April 12, 2014 I was driving on a major boulevard towards interstate 5 when the transmission shifted itself into neutral and revved the engine to an extremely high RPM. It was hovering quite close to the red danger zone on the gauge. As it was doing this I lost forward power and was moving forward on momentum only. It then felt like it dropped in and out of gear several times in quick succession. I was close to a parking lot so I hit the brakes lightly to decrease my speed and managed to turn the car into the parking lot and into a parking space just as the transmission appeared to re-engage. I immediately turned the car off and called emergency roadside service to tow the car to the dealer. The dealer was able to drive the car forward into a service bay but advised me that reverse was completely gone. Although I did not crash or sustain an injury, it was only because I got lucky and had a safe place to turn into. If this had happened 5 minutes later on the freeway, I would have likely died as that section of interstate 5 has construction work and no shoulder, so I would have been stranded and blocking traffic on a freeway with other vehicles and big rigs traveling between 55 and 80 miles per hour. It would have taken a miracle for no one to hit me in that situation. The vehicle is a 2008 with just over 50K miles on it - way too soon for such a major transmission failure.

- Sacramento, CA, USA