NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2009 Saturn Vue (Page 1 of 2)

3.3

2009 Saturn Vue electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Saturn Vue:

2009 Saturn Vue Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 282016

Vue

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Vue. The contact stated that the ignition key hesitated to disengage from the vehicle intermittently. There was no warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Chicagoil, IL, USA

Aug 012015

Vue

Sometimes when I turn my 2009 Saturn Vue off I cannot get the key out of the ignition. I will have to put the car back into drive and then back in park before I can get the key out.

- Washington, MI, USA

Sep 152014

Vue

While driving down road acceleration slowed, all instrument panel lights came on, loss full power steering & brake functions, no turn signals, brake lights, fuel gauge went to empty, messages on driver air bag, stabilitrak, tire air pressure, ABS, everything was flashing. All instrument panel lights were on, radio stopped, sudden increased acceleration then decreased again. I got pulled over to a parking lot (which was very hard with brake pedal going to floor & steering almost impossible), turned off car & removed key. Still had all (4) open door lights on and all the doors were shut. They stayed on more than 5 minutes before finally going off. I sat there 30 minutes before trying to start the car again. When I started it everything was working again as if it had reset itself. Yesterday August 31, 2015 was the third time this same thing has happened to me while driving at 45 mph or more. This is extremely dangerous as I drive daily on heavily traveled parkways. Dealerships can not find a problem when I take it to them. They just want to reset the electrical system. It just occurs again so that is not the solution. Need help getting this resolved.

- Greenbrier, TN, USA

Vue

The electrical system in my 2009 Saturn Vue shorts out causing all kinds of issues, the first time was in late 2013 when nothing on the dash came on, my radio did not play, no gages worked. Drove it to the first dealership in waterford and they got the gages working but had little news to say about it, it was a bad experience to say the least. The 2nd time it died in my drive way ( it had a brand new battery in it at the time)I had it towed to the nearest dealership and was told at first that they could not find the problem. The hood latch light was on and when they tried to give it back the tire pressure light came on and would not go off even when the tire pressure was checked manually and was correct. They said that they had to reboot the computer board and it was fixed. This time I drove my car for over a 2 month period where the blinker would cause the radio to go out, if I turned on the brights the radio would go out, then one day I got out of my car and realized the radio was still playing. I had to restart the car to shut it down. Lights flicker on the dash and the headlights would flicker back and forth while driving. My last straw was when I came out of the store and my car would not start, it did not do anything, I sat there for a minute and tried it again and it started up, so I scheduled an appointment at the dealership. They had the car form April 23 thru May 8 and said they could not duplicate the problem. In October my extended warranty is up and no one has found the problem yet. I have to say I have drove it now for 4 days and none of the things I described earlier has happened. Someone please help me, not fair to have these kinds of issues on a car of this caliper.

Nov 302013

Vue 6-cyl

Left passenger door will not unlock or lock with remote or with switch via car interior. Advised to replace door actuator. Once the left side was repaired under extended warranty the right passenger rear door is now non operational with the same problem. Vehicle is out of warranty. Door lock failures are not safe. If there is an accident someone could be ejected if the doors do not lock property.

- Savage, MN, USA

Dec 012014

Vue

2009 Saturn Vue. Driver states the engine stalled repeatedly, keys became stuck in ignition and the airbag and stability lights came on.

- Tustin, CA, USA

Oct 012013

Vue

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Vue. The contact stated that the key failed to release from the ignition as the air bag and stability trac warning lights illuminated. Also, the contact mentioned that the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Tustin, CA, USA

Feb 202014

Vue

Several months ago, my redline started clicking stabilitrak off and then when turning ignition off, would be completely dead. This continued after installing a new battery (thought the battery needed replacing). I have taken to a repair man numerous times and still can't get an answer. They replaced one of the battery cables completely and this stopped it for about a month, thought we had found the problem. Well it has since continued to have a bad connection somewhere. When it happens, I can "wiggle" the black electric box above the battery and power is restored. Sometimes, it disconnects everytime I put it in park and switch off and sometimes I can go days without an incident. There has to be an electrical/wiring issue causing this. I don't believe that the issue lies within the stabilitrak system. I think that the stabilitrak turns off as a direct result of the vehicle losing the electronic connection.

- Tifton, GA, USA

Jul 012013

Vue

Approximately July 2013, my instrument panel lights and radio shut off. The service stabilitrak warning message came on and then went off. I was unable to take the key out of the ignition. After moving the battery, the lights turned on and I was able to start the car. This lasted for an hour. It happened again and moving the battery worked. I took it to lou fusz GMC Buick. They tested the alternator, battery, and all of their components. They were fine. I took it to them in August, September, and October. I thought the problem was caused by the battery not being secured or I needed a new battery. I had the battery replaced by lou fusz in January 2014. Everything seemed to be fine until earlier this month. The same symptoms and issues happened again. I currently have the vehicle at a GM service center hoping they can resolve the issue. There is something seriously wrong with this vehicle. I am afraid to drive it. My concern is it may be overheating causing the wires to burn. There are other reports of the same issue with the 2009 Saturn Vue. Please assist me in resolving this matter.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Aug 142014

Vue

The lights (courtesy lights, dash, and headlights) on my vehicle were flickering. While driving, I began to notice a burning smell. I thought that it was coming from outside, but rolling down the windows did not help. After a few minutes, I saw smoke coming from the driver's side visor area. I had the car towed to a dealership and they stated that there was an electrical short in the wiring harness about the headliner that goes into the sunshade.

- Johnstown, OH, USA

Jun 232014

Vue 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Vue. The contact stated that the driver's side visor retraction clip fractured and the visor would not properly retract. The contact also mentioned that the dome, door, and glove compartment lights failed to activate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 64,000. Updated 08/27/14 the consumer stated the bar that runs through the visor became hot to touch and caused the wiring that runs to the dome to burn out. This caused the interior lights to fail. The visor was replaced but, the interior lights were not repaired. Updated 09/18/2014

- Lockbourne, OH, USA

Sep 132013

Vue

Car would not start, when you put the key in the ignition will not start. After several attempts you can finally get it to connect. This is an ongoing issue I have had the car in the garage several times. I have been stranded three times in the last six months. It doesn't happen all the time and never happens when the garage has the vehicle. The last time was on Saturday 5/18/2014 the only way I could get the vehicle to start was to put it in neutral and turn the steering column, then when it would go back to the straight position the vehicle would stop again. After about five times trying it this way I left the wheels turned all the way to the left and put the vehicle into gear and made a U turn and keep going to home. I am afraid to try this car for fear it will cut out and someone will run into me.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Feb 012011

Vue

The defrost button flashes and deactivates during freezing temperatures preventing the windows from defogging.

- St Clair Shores, MI, USA

Oct 222010

Vue

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Vue. The contact stated while driving 45 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The contact coasted the vehicle onto the side of the road where she restarted the vehicle and if functioned properly. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred two additional times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Lancaster, TX, USA

Feb 012013

Vue

TL- the contact owns a 2009 Saturn Vue. The contact stated while driving the electronics in the dashboard of the vehicle would turn off and on causing the warning sensor lights to illuminate. The contact indicated that the defect occurred more often while driving and coming to a complete stop. The vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer and the battery was replaced but the failure continued to occur. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Dec 022013

Vue 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Vue. The contact was driving approximately 45 mph when the emissions plunge overflow sensor warning light illuminated. The contact then noticed a burning odor inside the vehicle and smoke coming from the rear hatch. The contact stated that the dash display indicated that the doors were ajar but they were locked and the rear passenger was unable to open the door to exit the vehicle during the incident. The fuse was removed from the brake light which stopped the smoke. The vehicle was diagnosed and no repairs were performed. The contact was informed that the electrical wires were damaged from contact with the license tag which caused the defect. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 69,000. Updated 1/16/14 the consumer stated the insurance sent company sent her a check, to have the vehicle repaired.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jul 242013

Vue 4-cyl

I have a 2009 Saturn Vue xe with only 40,515 miles and the wiring in the headliner above the windshield and driver side visor caught on fire! the fire was put out with a fire extinguisher. A burned area about a foot around is now in the headliner. It blackened the white paint on the outside roof. The melting wiring insulation in the headliner dripped and burned a hole in the driver leather seat. What a stinky mess! thank god it was put out quick enough and didn't catch the whole vehicle on fire! obviously this isn't an isolated problem based on my google search. I've reported this problem to GM customer service. They said no open recalls on this vehicle. However, I suspect GM is aware of this problem.

- Jamestown, NC, USA

Feb 012012

Vue 4-cyl

As of the beginning of last yr. My Saturn has been giving me trouble with the key not coming out of the ignition when I turn off the engine. I have try a number of things. Ex; turn engine back on & turn the wheel to the left & then to the right. Also I'll shift the trans from P to D & back. It seems to be something in the lock or what ever controls the trans. That sends a signal when ignition is off so you can turn the key all the way to the off position to release the key. My 1st yr I had no problems. Other than this key situation I have had a good ride with this vehicle....updated 07-24-13 the consumer stated as of 07/12/13 the shift assembly was replaced to correct the key situation. At the present time, there were no more problems with removing the key.

- Belleville, NJ, USA