NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2013 Scion FR-S brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Scion FR-S:

2013 Scion FR-S Owner Comments

May 092013

FR-S 4-cyl

After leaving a residence, getting onto the freeway with no issues for about 1/4 mile, suddenly upon getting about to 50 mph, I felt a shimmy. I thought I had a flat tire. But I was smelling a burning smell pretty quickly. I thought it was from a polluted semi truck. But it got stronger. So, I decided to take the first exit another 1/4 mile up. I turned on hazards and slowed to 40 and exited. Upon stopping I turned off the car and inspected first the engine, seeing no smoke around it. I then inspected the tires. All good. So I opted for a touch test for overheated tire, to see if they were hot. Which given I only drove maybe 1.5 miles total, or 2, this seemed unlikely. When leaning to touch the left rear tire, I saw a flame come out from behind it, and immediately got away from the car and called 911 for fire department. They arrived and determined that luckily the fire had extinguished itself. Upon mechanical inspection, I learned the caliper froze so the brake pad had ignited. While I was driving. A live flame under my car, I am lucky nothing happened. I am terrified of this happening again and what if its in the front tire near the engine?

- Richland, WA, USA