NHTSA — Visibility/Wiper Problems

2005 Scion tC accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Scion tC:

2005 Scion tC Owner Comments

Apr 052014

When I returned to my car that had been parked for approximately three hours, I found that the deflector was raised and the sunroof was entirely shattered. The "legs" of the deflector appeared to have broken through the glass, as the sunroof was severely cracked and broken along each of its four edges. I had not used the sunroof prior to parking my car that morning. Upon reading similar complaints, I do recall also having heard an extremely loud pop while driving, but the sunroof did not shatter until some time after while the car was parked.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Jul 192013

I was driving back from work going around 60 mph on the highway, and heard loud bang like a gunshot. First I thought that one of my tires has hit on something and exploded but then I felt something falling from the roof and I managed to pull over right away. When I got out of the car I saw my moon roof shattered in pieces. There wasn't any debrief on the road or any small rocks that could've hit the roof and shattered it. The bang was very loud and very disturbing and I hope this can be investigated and prevented in the future.

- Reston , VA, USA

Jun 072013

tC 4-cyl

While driving down the road at about 10-15 mph (going very slowly because it was a dirt road), I heard an extremely loud pop which sounded like a gunshot. Immediately stopping to inspect, I discovered that the moonroof had shattered completely. The webbing of the broken glass was more clearly visible from the inside than the outside. There was absolutely no sign of any impact. No other cars were around anywhere and nothing that could have hit the glass. As I continued to drive home, the pieces began to fall into the back passenger seat and finally the whole thing started to fall inside. I called a local Toyota dealership and they told me a glass replacement would be $1158. I had previously noticed that in my daily driving, whenever the car structure flexed in any way (as in on uneven terrain and sometimes even on highway or interstate driving), I would occasionally hear popping sounds as if there was some type of strain on the frame. I suspect some type of manufacturer defect, especially since I see that other people have experienced the same type problem with the moonroof or sunroof exploding without cause. On a different note, the rear hatch lift keeps falling off. In calling Toyota to complain about the moonroof issue, I was informed that they did issue a warranty enhancement for the hatch lift. I had received no information in the mail about the enhancement, but the representative said it must be because the vehicle was still registered under the previous owner in their system. Don't know how that happened since we purchased from a dealership and have the title.

- Warm Springs, GA, USA