NHTSA — Equipment Problems

2005 Scion tC accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Scion tC:

2005 Scion tC Owner Comments

Jul 252008

tC

I own a 2005 Scion Tc (manufactured by Toyota). Recently the driver side power window was unable to close. The window would go half way up and then stop. It would go down fine from the half way up position. The motor was in good working order. I took my car to a local garage and they said that the window had come out of the run channel and that the metal piece which holds the run channel was bent and cracked. As the door and window mechanism has never had any kind of trauma and as the parts are all within the structure of the door I can only assume that the parts and/or installation of the window pieces were defective. I surmise that over time (vehicle is just 3.5 years old with 45K miles) the force of the normal window operation has warped the defective parts holding it in place. In my research I noticed that Toyota issued a safety bulletin (NHTSA action # EA08004) for 2004 on their corolla and matrix models for a power window problem on these cars. I think my problem may be related to this. My local Toyota dealer is not being cooperative saying my car is out of warranty so I intend to take up the issue with the regional representative. Ps my mechanic said that he'd guess that my car wasn't the only Scion Tc that had this problem.

- Boulder, CO, USA

Jun 212005

tC 4-cyl

Paint peeling, chipping, undersurface "scratches" appearing in the paint. It seems Toyota has a bad batch of paint on thier Scion line of vehicles, as I see that there are many more complaints of problems with defects in the paint.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

May 012005

tC

In stop & go bumper-to-bumper traffic, my client took her foot off of the brake of 2005 Toyota Scion xa, and car accelerated on its own. After crash, client could not shift car from drive into park position.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Dec 202004

tC 4-cyl

I bought a 2005 Scion xa on November 15, 2004. On December 20, 2004 the driver side front tire blew out, after hitting a bump in the road. The tire had 3,966 miles on it. The side wall blew. As we my children and I processed to change the tire. The jack slide sideways, causing the car to fall. It hurt my 15 year old sons hand, if I hadnt shoved my tire under the body of the car and screamed at him, the car would have landed on him and his leg. We rejacked the car back up and the jack started sliding again. We were in a level gas station paved parking lot. The third time we jacked the car up the jack started slipping again. I believe these jacks are dangerous!! the side wall of the tire is also too thin. I had to replace the tire. I will buy a new jack to put in my car. I would like someone to check into this matter. Also the manufacure stated the car would get 32 mph city, 38 highway. We are getting 28 city and 31 on highway. This is my first new car, I am not impressed! I am very disappointed in Toyota, we have had Toyota's in the past and I got better milage out of them.

- Arab, AL, USA