NHTSA — Engine Problems

2005 Scion tC engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Scion tC:

2005 Scion tC Owner Comments

Jul 082016

According to Toyota service the engine had a catastrophic failure lower part of the engine due to no oil in the engine. According to the service department this was caused by excessive oil consumption. The problem occurred on the highway while driving to work. The car stopped on the middle of the 210 fwy without any warning lights on the dash panel.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Aug 012016

2005 Scion Tc. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle VIN# not included in oil consumption program to repair the existing oil problems.

- Coram, NY, USA

Mar 072014

I was driving and the car just died.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 202013

I do not understand why Toyota knows that there is a defect in their engines on these cars but they would not recall them. They recalled the Camry with the same engine but not the Scion Tc. They redesigned the engine in 2007 to fix the defect. The known defect is the head bolts were too short, causing them undue stress and eventually stripping out the bolt holes for the heads. This causes the car to overheat blow the engines. This is a safety issue as many people have had this happen in the middle of the road and at intersections where the car dies. People can be rear ended and broad sided because of this. Toyota knew about the defect because they fixed recalled the Camry which had the same engine. This is no small fix. For most owners this out of pocket expense is between $3000 - $6000 dollars depending on how much damage was caused by the over heating. There are complaints all over the internet of this happening but no one in the government is doing anything to push Toyota into fixing their known screw up.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Feb 042013

tC 4-cyl

My 2005 Toyota Scion Tc turned off while I was driving. I put vehicle in park and re started it. Moments later the brakes failed and I turned into a plaza. At that point the steering failed. I did not know the vehicle was on fire until this point. I had no control of the car so I reached back and grabbed my two year old who was strapped in her car seat. Right before we jumped out the car stopped completely ( tires melted), the flames were visible in front of me and the car filled with smoke. We jumped out and ran. Moments later the entire car was in flames. Witnesses told me that I was on fire for a while and they turned around to get my attention. No injuries or fatalities were suffered with this fire but it was way too close for comfort.

- Wellington , FL, USA