NHTSA — Tires Problems

2005 Scion tC wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Scion tC:

2005 Scion tC Owner Comments

Jan 122014

tC 4-cyl

Now feeling compelled to document this issue only because it is the 2nd failure of these tires. Failure in the rear drivers side tire side wall bubble was seen as I entered my Scion Tc 2005 that was on 1/30/13 mileage 57786. That would make it 7400 miles for the first failure. The original tires purchased (all 4) 12/10/11 mileage 50320. Now after almost a year the 2nd failure of these tires inside wall where tread belt meets side wall has peeled off. This was on a day when we had our 2 grandsons in the car. Mileage now 64395. Different tire front drivers side. So that is 14K on this tire that failed. As you can see we are not high mileage divers. My biggest concern would be what if this failed on the interstate at 70 mph? sounds like the issue Firestone had some years ago. Speed was not a factor, bad roads not a factor, the weather was clear, no outside condition or other vehicles involved. I have been driving for 50+ years. We will contact the tire manufacture also. The consumer experienced a third tire failure, where the bead on the side wall of the tire came off. Updated 12/09/14

- Seminole, FL, USA

Feb 222013

tC

I love my Scion however I bought brand new from expressway Toyota in dorchester MA in 2005 and with all the recalls I see on here I've only done one, and that the glass windshield. Every other time I go the dealer and tell them that there are recalls, they ignore me and say that there isn't. I have some rattling noise going on under my car...I fixed once at the dealer and it came back again but now the dealer wants me to pay again to fix it and I think it's a safety concern in the car, the tires are also uneven, I keep having to change tires too often, the hatch lift in the back keeps breaking...major failing and cheap. It feels like it was glued on. I would an answer from the dealer where I bought the car as to why they keep denying my visits on the recalls and why in being charge the same safety work that I've paid once to get fix and now the same rattling noise keeps coming. I never get any information in the mail from my dealer either informing me of these recalls. I guess they are refusing to fix them.

- Medford , MA, USA

May 212007

tC 4-cyl

Car: 2005 Scion Tc purchased: Mcgee Toyota of hanover, MA in May 2007. -emergency brake failing 2 weeks after purchase, which caused an accident. -the dealership misdiagnosing the wheel bearing (2-3 times, finally fixing it). -we've been to mcgee Toyota probably 5+ times now, and woburn Toyota twice, all for problems with a 2005 Scion Tc. One of the other issues was when my wife bought the car, she bought a Toyota extended warranty. We noticed a few weeks after purchase that the weather stripping was dry-rotting, and woburn Toyota said they wouldn't replace it since it wasn't a factory windshield. We were originally told by mcgee Toyota that we could take this car to any Toyota dealership and the warranty would be valid. Why were we not told by mcgee Toyota when she bought the car, that the windshield had been replaced? mr murphy said he would do anything in his power to make us happy. Mr murphy said he would replace all four tires on the car (because we also noticed there were 3 different tires on the car), as well as replace the windshield for us. We picked the car up yesterday, to find her seats leaned back (it looked like some teenage kids just got done joy-riding), two bubbles in the middle of the new(another aftermarket windshield, which is not covered under warranty ? again!) windshield, a loud squeal coming from the engine when revved, and the clutch making a very loud and noticeable squeak when depressed. It seems that when we bring the car in for something, we leave with 2-3 more problems. When addressed by a manager, it comes to no avail. I attempted to talk with a manager about those issues, and when I refused to shake his hand, we were asked to leave! there are many more issues with this car, which are too many to list in this initial complaint.

- Hanscom Afb, MA, USA

Jun 022005

tC

I have Bridgestone potenza P215/45zr17 tires on my car..the tires don't have even 10000 miles and I already had to get 3 new tires and 2 to be fixed... cause of two are unknowed...I think it was a pot hole in the road... rest are nails in tires... I'm driving on normal us city roads. No dirt roads, no beach driving, no snow driving. And the nails find home in my tires. I understand sometimes nail get in your tire, but most of the time you drove somewhere that you suppose to not be driving(constructions and stuff like this) but my tires are poped by normal small to medium size nails on normal straight roads... in my option the tires are made out of cheap rubber which is not strong enough to withsand the nail or other small sharp objects.

- Altamonte Springs, FL, USA