NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2008 Scion tC brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Scion tC:

2008 Scion tC Owner Comments

Nov 292015

I got on the freeway driving to pick up my mom in the Sunday morning around 6:50 am she works in lax driving on the 110 South freeway in los angeles, ca. This happen between manchester and century. I was in the third lane on the freeway I was going 65 miles per hour motion and I switch lane to the right and my steering wheel lock on me after switching lane my break pedal wasn't working and the steering wasn't responding to the left, the subject vehicle was merging really fast passing 2-1 lanes until I hit the wall and my car flip up-side down rolling for 13 seconds up side down on side the wall. My air bag when off when the car was up side down. I look at the radio and saw white smoke I turn off the car, un buckle my seat belt up-side down, craw out side the passenger window. I got up and took a picture and called the Toyota corporation now um waiting for inspection. For the subject vehicle to be defected well um letting people be aware of this problem on Scion Tc 2008 I O most lost my life. Now I have cut finger skin and left ankle hurts from trying to use the break pedal my elbow has scar fro the window breaking I cover my face crossing my elbows as a shield for my head I had a sweater and long sleeve my it still cut my left elbow. I am the title owner and took me 7 years to pay off this car but now I want my money back or a replace vehicle. I only have liability and I know the insurance wont believe me.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 062015

tC 4-cyl

There had been a big snowstorm the day prior. I was driving in the morning in very cold temperatures. The roads had been plowed but there was still slush on the highways. While driving on the highway, my brakes failed to stop the vehicle even though I was not driving at an incredibly fast speed. I was forced to pull over onto the side of the road and wait an hour for the temperatures to warm up. Since then, I have noticed that the brakes have a repeated tendency to not properly slow down the car in cold conditions (both rain and snow). The symptoms of this incident very closely match the Toyota recall that was initiated for other vehicles manufactured in 2008 that had brake failures while driving in snow and cold conditions. I called Toyota corporate headquarters on the day of the incident to report what had happened but they insisted there was no recall for my vehicle. They advised me to have the vehicle inspected. On 21 March, I took the vehicle into an auto shop for a brake inspection. I was told that the brake pads appear new and there are no noticeable issues with my brakes.

- Alexandria , VA, USA