NHTSA — Engine Problems

2008 Scion tC engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Scion tC:

2008 Scion tC Owner Comments

Aug 262016

Car was tested for the oil consumption test they were doing and it supposedly passed, but then as driving down the highway, the motor completely blew due to the lack of oil. I'd even been adding oil to my car daily.

- West Boylston, MA, USA

Aug 222016

The contact owns a 2008 Scion Tc. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 113,000.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Jan 182016

The first is issue is the oil consumption it consume almost 1Q in 2K which is not what is suppose to be happening. I only had this vehicle for 2 years and the engine blew with no warning no oil light on nothing.

- Burlington, NJ, USA

Apr 152015

I have an 08' Toyota Scion Tc that is burning oil at an abnormal rate. I brought my car to the Toyota dealership where they topped off my oil and taped the dipstick down and told me to bring it back after I drive it about 1200 miles. I went back to the dealership at 1200 miles and after waiting hours for them to check the oil only for them to come out and tell me everything was okay. I asked them if there was any oil loss and I was told that it's normal for older engines to burn oil. Not in my book, not for any vehicle. I know people who have had their Toyota for more than 15 years and never had that problem. Someone with over 200,00 miles on their Toyota and never had that problem. I don't think having the oil light come on before the next scheduled maintenance is normal. But I'm a 26 year old female so what do I know right? I know that it's not normal. This has become such an inconvenience that all I want is the problem fixed. For them to take apart my engine and replace the damn pistons so I don't have to worry about checking my oil every couple of weeks. Toyota is responsible for this mistake and I would like it fixed if they want me to stay a Toyota customer.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Oct 052015

My Scion Tc was taken to dch Toyota & Scion of torrance for oil consumption test on Mar 03, 2015 at 129,050 miles and again on May 21, 2015 at 132,611 miles. No action regarding high oil consumption was taken. On Oct 5, 2015 while driving on 110 fwy in la engine suddenly stopped working and car needed to be shift in to neutral in order to roll to the side. This put me in to grate danger since everything stopped working. Car was towed to in to shop where mechanic diagnosed that engine has seized. It had low oil level and aluminum residue in it. His conclusion based on Toyota own admit ion of high oil consumption and fact that car had at the time 136,816 miles and next scheduled oil change suppose to be at 139,387 miles. I had to replace engine and clutch to have car running again. I contacted Toyota for reimbursement according warranty enhancement notification - ZE7. Their response were that I do not meet criteria for reimbursement. My opinion is that they have manufacturing problem with many Scion Tc engines in regard of high oil consumption and that they should be responsible for repair cost. They know about it and they did nothing when I brought car twice for test and repair.

- San Pedro, CA, USA

Jul 292015

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Scion Tc. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced excessive oil loss. After 3,000 miles, the vehicle used approximately 5-7 quarts of oil. The pistons made an abnormal noise and the vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician stated that they must perform an oil consumption test. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 120,965.

- Deltona, FL, USA

May 142015

In about January of 2015 I received an extended warranty notice for my 2008 Scion Tc stating this and other vehicles with the same engine maybe experiencing excessive oil consumption. Dealer told me it was fine after keeping it the entire weekend. A year and a half prior I had to take the vehicle to the dealership because about two weeks after they changed my oil the oil light started flickering on and off as if there was no oil in the car on or around May 14, 2015 a about 10:15 pm my 2008 Scion Tc with around 119000 miles cut off while I was merging onto 95/495. I could have had an accident and possibly been injured or died due to this engine. I had the car looked at by my mechanic who then told me my vehicles engine had seized because the engine was taking in too much oil. I then had it towed into the dealership. Upon further investigation I find out Toyota had a multi-billion dollar lawsuit against them for this excessive engine oil consumption problem. Toyota knew about the problem in 2008 and knew the excessive consumption could and would cause engine seizure. In an article issued on April 12, 2014 it states that Toyota/Scion sent out a tsa to it's dealership telling them not to assume responsibility fr this issue.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 132014

tC 4-cyl

Engine is burning large amounts of oil between scheduled 5000 mile oil changes. The first time this happened was in August 2014. While driving my oil light came on. I stopped and checked the dip stick to find that the engine was completely out of oil. At this time I checked for leaking oil in my garage and was unable to find any. I assumed that possibly the dealership did not put enough oil in the vehicle during the last scheduled oil change. The second time this occurred was on 12/14/14. My oil light came on again while driving and when I pulled over realized I had no oil in my car again. Still no leaking found in my garage. I am sure it had enough oil in it after the last oil change which occurred between the two incidents. After having the oil changed the last time I checked the vehicle to be sure that it had enough after leaving the dealership.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Sep 222014

tC 4-cyl

Each time I brake, my oil light came on. Went to the lube place, and was almost out of oil. No leaks, but black smut in exhaust pipe. Seem to be burning excessive oil. Researched on internet, and is a recognize problem with Toyota cars. Toyota issued a technical bulletin to its dealership. Defective pistons were used in manufacturing the cars, but there is no recall. Toyota told me it's normal for their cars to burn a quart of oil every 800 to 1,000 miles, to change my oil at 3,000 miles (which I normally do), to check it every 1,200 miles and top off in low. Unacceptable. Why would I buy a brand new car with defective parts" and why should a manufacturer think it's ok to make and sell cars with defective parts? why are they not held responsible for basically stealing from people" the solution is to replace the engine at a cost of around $6,000 (about 25% cost of a new car).

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

May 212014

tC 4-cyl

My vehicle is almost 6 years old. It was brought brand new in June 2008. I've only taken it to an authorized dealerships since purchase for regular maintenance. The miles currently on my car is 70,775 and I was scheduled for my next maintenance check at 71,443 per the dealership maintenance sticker. Prior to this event, there was no indication that anything was wrong with the vehicle. As I was driving down I-95 South in emporia va on 05/21/2014 coming from Washington, DC, I experienced engine failure while going the speed limit of 70 mph. I was able to coast safely to the side of the highway after avoiding multiple cars and trucks that almost crashed into me. My car insurance company was called. I was able to get towed to an approved repair shop through my insurance company. The diagnostic from the repair shop determined I would need a new engine due to "whole in the engine block caused by low oil" of which the least expensive was going to cost $4,000. I call the national Scion center to report what happened. They advised me to take the car to the closest authorized dealer to have their company look at the vehicle which I did. Per the authorized dealerships diagnostic review "the technician found hole in block by cylinder #1, found piston wrist pin in bottom on engine cover, needs new or used engine". when I asked the technician what could have caused this he said the oil levels were very low and that the oil was also very dirty. I called Scion to see what they were going to do about it and I was told nothing would be done because the car was over 60,000 miles. I find this very unsettling since the car was in great condition prior to this occurrence and there was so indication something was wrong. Like I mentioned, I've only always taken my car to an authorized dealership for maintenance services and I wasn't due for another service check for another 668 miles.

- Martinez, GA, USA

Jun 202013

tC 4-cyl

My engine seized. Long story short, my car was burning oil at a rate of 1 quart every 700 miles. I was taking my car to a Toyota dealership every 5000 miles for my free oil changes. No one noticed I was burning that much oil until I started hearing sounds from my engine. It was too late at that point. There was permanent engine damage confirmed by 2 mechanics at private shops. After adding high mileage oil to my car to slow down the oil consumption after a month of hearing the sound and noticing the amount of oil being burned, the engine seized less than a month after that. I had to replace the whole engine block. Corporate Toyota covered the brand new engine but I had to pay for service (all done at another dealership) which came out to $3000 out of my pocket.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Aug 012012

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Scion Tc. The contact stated that the dealer inspected the vehicle and determined that the piston rings needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Vista, CA, USA