NHTSA — Structure Problems Seal Of

2009 Scion tC body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Scion tC:

2009 Scion tC Owner Comments

Feb 102013

I have had my 2009 Scion Tc for just about 2 years now, back in February I was just doing some grocery shopping, went to open the trunk and the whole trunk release handle fell off, and now is just connected by wires which is a distraction to drivers behind me and also covers the license plate which I'm sure is just cause for me to get a traffic fine. I took it to the dealership where I bought it and they said its not under warranty, even though I have a full warranty left on my car for 100,00 miles. This is an outrage that this part isn't covered for manufacture defects and poor workmanship, this should not fall apart after 2 years, and it clearly should be recalled.. if Toyota wants to keep selling cars, they need to make good on fixing this problem.. my car has a warranty on it so I should not have to pay out of pocket for something that shouldn't have fallen off so easily!!!! poor manufacturing........and with all the complaints I've read about people having the same problem, Toyota should definitely be taking care of there customers if they want future customers!!!!!!!!

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

Nov 172010

The hatch handle, including the lighting for the license plate, fell off with normal use. While this does not endanger the passengers in the car, it is illegal to drive without the lights and gives the possibility of the driver being fined for the vehicle not being build properly. The plastic on the inside of the handle is not able to handle the heat of being in a parking lot for 2 years, and fell of during normal use.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 292011

The lip covering the trunk hatch on these cars is defective and should be recalled. It is a cheap plastic piece held on with plastic clips that break! Toyota needs to own up to this and fix it. They know about the issue and let it go on for five years until they changed the parts being used.

- Torrington, CT, USA