NHTSA — Engine Problems Seal Of

2009 Scion tC engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Scion tC:

2009 Scion tC Owner Comments

Jul 202012

tC 4-cyl

I took my vehicle into the passport Toyota dealership for service and it was determined that my vehicle did not have any oil in it. I was informed that similar models were experiencing "oil consumption issues", and I should drive approximately 1200 miles and return to the dealership for further testing. After completion of the test, it was determined that my vehicle was in fact burning oil excessively but Toyota would not pay to have this problem fixed because my VIN # was selected to be apart of the Toyota service program.

- District Heights, MD, USA

Oct 182013

The engine in my 2009 Scion Tc has been burning oil internally. I have been told by four different mechanics that this is a safety hazard because it can be dangerous if the car runs out of oil which it almost did. Toyota constructed the engine improperly and the engine needs to be rebuilt which involves replacing the internal parts of the engine such as the rings and pistons. After taking the car to the dealer, Toyota refused to give me the diagnosis of the problem but offered to rebuild my engine at full cost. After doing some research, it has been brought to my attention that everyone who purchased a car made by Toyota with the 2az-fe engine is having the same exact problem which can be very dangerous. I am having to add oil to my car weekly due to the oil consumption problem. Others who have cars with the 2az-fe engine may not be aware of the problem, which can be dangerous if they run out of oil. Toyota should recall the engine due to safety concerns and make the appropriate repairs.

- Miami, FL, USA

Apr 022012

Excessive oil consumption. Toyota reports a tsb regarding a piston issue. My engine could be at risk on breakdown. Toyota was and has been aware of the issue since 2007 but continued to sell vehicles without fixing the problem.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 232012

On November 23, 2012, my vehicle experienced what was later determined to be engine failure. My vehicle experienced a sudden loss of engine power. Fortunately, I was able to safely move my vehicle over to a highway shoulder and have it towed to a dealership. After additional research, it appears that numerous other owners with the same engine type (2az-fe) 2.4 L produced by Toyota, are experiencing this same engine safety issue.

- Mission, TX, USA