NHTSA — Engine Problems

CarComplaints.com Seal Of

3.2

2009 Scion tC engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Scion tC:

2009 Scion tC Owner Comments

May 162016

tC

We are having a problem with our 2009 Toyota Scion using excessive oil. We have to put a quart of oil in every 1,200-1,500 miles as the car is using excessive oil. This is a safety issue as the engine will blow up if it runs out of oil. The oil light has come on and we have put oil in but the last time we checked the oil, it was low and the light did not come on. In may of this year, the car was put on the oil consumption program. We brought the car back with 1,200 and they said the car passed the program. After 1,500 miles, the car was a quart low on oil so we took it back to Toyota in sunnyvale, ca. They added a quart of oil and advised us to bring it back in January for a second oil consumption test. The service advisor and the technician who put the oil in both agreed that the car is burning oil and stated that it is within Toyota's guidelines of burning 1 quart of oil every 1,200 miles which is totally ridiculous. We should not have to put in a quart of oil every 1,200 miles. This is a safety issue and should be resolved by Toyota by replacing the piston rings in this motor.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jul 202012

tC 4-cyl

I took my vehicle into the passport Toyota dealership for service and it was determined that my vehicle did not have any oil in it. I was informed that similar models were experiencing "oil consumption issues", and I should drive approximately 1200 miles and return to the dealership for further testing. After completion of the test, it was determined that my vehicle was in fact burning oil excessively but Toyota would not pay to have this problem fixed because my VIN # was selected to be apart of the Toyota service program.

- District Heights, MD, USA

Oct 182013

tC

The engine in my 2009 Scion Tc has been burning oil internally. I have been told by four different mechanics that this is a safety hazard because it can be dangerous if the car runs out of oil which it almost did. Toyota constructed the engine improperly and the engine needs to be rebuilt which involves replacing the internal parts of the engine such as the rings and pistons. After taking the car to the dealer, Toyota refused to give me the diagnosis of the problem but offered to rebuild my engine at full cost. After doing some research, it has been brought to my attention that everyone who purchased a car made by Toyota with the 2az-fe engine is having the same exact problem which can be very dangerous. I am having to add oil to my car weekly due to the oil consumption problem. Others who have cars with the 2az-fe engine may not be aware of the problem, which can be dangerous if they run out of oil. Toyota should recall the engine due to safety concerns and make the appropriate repairs.

- Miami, FL, USA

Apr 022012

tC

Excessive oil consumption. Toyota reports a tsb regarding a piston issue. My engine could be at risk on breakdown. Toyota was and has been aware of the issue since 2007 but continued to sell vehicles without fixing the problem.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 232012

tC

On November 23, 2012, my vehicle experienced what was later determined to be engine failure. My vehicle experienced a sudden loss of engine power. Fortunately, I was able to safely move my vehicle over to a highway shoulder and have it towed to a dealership. After additional research, it appears that numerous other owners with the same engine type (2az-fe) 2.4 L produced by Toyota, are experiencing this same engine safety issue.

- Mission, TX, USA