NHTSA — Visibility: Sun Roof Assembly Problems

2.5

2012 Scion tC accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Scion tC:

2012 Scion tC Owner Comments

Jun 262014

tC 4-cyl

Driving to work in California, partly cloudy, around 60 degrees. All windows up, ac off, sunroof closed and visor shut. I am driving in the right lane at 65mph when I hear what sounds like a gunshot in my car followed by glass shattering and spraying over my car. I pullover to see that my sunroof had exploded from the inside outward. The whole in my sunroof is about 1ft 6in long and about 8in wide. The glass was shattered all the way around the perimeter of the sunroof and the middle appeared to look like pressure blew out the center. Lucky for me my visor was closed so the glass remains in there. Toyota refuses to have heard of this problem before but it took me 30 seconds to find plenty of evidence. This issue could cause serious injury to drivers and other motorists. No vehicle that has windows exploding spontaneously is safe to drive. I ask that Toyota take responsibility now before it happens again and causes serious injury.

- Arroyo Grande, CA, USA