NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2.6

2005 Scion xA seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Scion xA:

2005 Scion xA Owner Comments

Sep 182011

xA

Airbag indicator light has been on for a few years. Vehicle has never been in an accident. Was told dealership wouldn't cover to repair & that I must've been involved in an accident & that as long as the light is on that my airbags would not deploy if in a wreck. What a shame since I did pay extra for side curtain airbags when vehicle bought. Can't remember if car was moving when light came on. Love this car. Has 230K + miles but after reading other comments on same issue I will be considering something other than Toyota for next vehicle

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 262015

xA 4-cyl

The airbag light comes on after driving a few miles. Car taken to dealer and I was told it was the electrical cable inside the steering column that had "failed". this is the part that controls airbag deployment. I asked if the company (Toyota) would assist with the replacement, and was told "no. Some just fail. That's part of owning a car." The part is on order, and the repair is going to cost $530 - $300 for the part, $100 labor and $130 for the diagnosis. All this for a part that "_failed_" this happened under normal driving conditions and I was _not_ in an accident of any sort, nor did I contribute to its failure. This part _failed_- wondering if the part is defective and what assistance Toyota will give me.

- Tucson, AZ, USA