NHTSA — Engine Problems

2.3

2005 Scion xB engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Scion xB:

2005 Scion xB Owner Comments

Oct 012013

xB 4-cyl

My Scion overheated, lost oil pressure due to whatever damage the overheating caused and I've had a low battery charge all this time but none of these problems were indicated by any gauge or light on my dash. Now I have to replace the motor.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Jul 112013

xB 4-cyl

I own 2005 Scion Xb first incident -Thursday evening 6:30 pm, July 11, 2013 in martinez, California I was driving on the city street at about 25 mph. The car suddenly accelerated by itself to 40-45 mph. I braked (foot brake, hand brake & using gear) before almost hitting the car in front of me. Luckily it stopped with a loud braking noise; I ended up close to the side of the street but still not clear from the traffic lane. I tried to restart and move out of the way but the acceleration sound was horrible and the gear was locked up. I opened the hood and checked the accelerator cable, flipping the spring loaded cable back and forth, and it seemed to be loose on the cable spool. I then re-started the car, but it was still revving very fast, so I turned it off and continued flipping the accelerator cable until it appeared to be tighter. When I re-started it this time it was running normally at reduced rpms about 30 minutes after the incident. I drove back home slowly (one mile away) on the city streets. I drove it slowly to auto shop the next day. Checked by mtz automotive in martinez, California on Friday, July 12, 2013. They found no problem. But I am scared to drive. Do not know what to do. Checking online and found your website.

- Martinez, CA, USA