NHTSA — Steering Problems

2008 Scion xB (Page 1 of 2)

2008 Scion xB steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Scion xB:

2008 Scion xB Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 152015

Vehicle was driven to location and parked. When I returned to the vehicle, restarted and began to pull away, steering light came on and all assist in the steering disappeared making it almost impossible to steer. Had to have steering ECM replaced.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Mar 302016

Electronic power steering failed during driving. Power steering light remains activated.

- Boise, ID, USA

Mar 012016

Takada inflators. While driving my power steering was extremely hard to turn making it extremely difficult to steer including pull over to the side. In motion on 110 freeway going 60 M ph went I lost control.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 012016

The contact owns a 2008 Scion Xb. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the power steering suddenly failed causing the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed and repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available the failure was mileage was $110.

- Alney, MD, USA

Jan 142016

Electronic steerin module located under the dash are a danger to peoples lives and can go out without warning and cause the driver to lose complete control of the vehicle. Also these modules on a 2008 Malibu, 2009 Saturn and many other vehicles are known to have the same problem. The manufactuers of the auto have issued a tsb on this item when they should have issued a recall. If this matter is not taken care of asap someone will lose thier life! just a matter of time! I have 35 years mechanic experience on vehicles and 27 years experience on jet engines with the gov. These same type modules are being used on current model vehicles of all makes and should be deemed unsafe! anything that does not allow you to habdle your vehicle after failure is a danger to lives and manufactuers are aware of this. They would not have issued tsb's if they were not aware! read online in forums and complaints thier has been crashes resulting in serious injuries!

- Haughton, LA, USA

Dec 052015

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Scion Xb. While making a right turn at approximately 15 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the vehicle stalled without warning. In addition, the contact mentioned that the windshield wipers operated independently. The vehicle failed to restart. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 153,063.

- Concord, CA, USA

Oct 012015

Started the car after being parked overnight and the power steering light came on and it had a total loss of power steering. I took it to a Toyota specialty mechanic and he diagnosed that the power steering ECU had failed at it could only be fixed properly at the dealership.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 142015

On 9/14/15 around 7am my power steering was working great, but 30 min. When I turned my car on I saw the steering wheel warning indicator has turned on. Not knowing anything I drove my car to an autobody to have it checked and they told me it was the electric mechanism that needs to be fixed and to bring my car into the dealer for further investigation. Later that day I drove my car to the dealer with a really stiff steering wheel. The next day the dealer called and told me that the power steering will need to be replaced because it was inoperative, so I had them replace the part and the total has put a hole in my wallet. I have had this car since July 2007 and it hasn't even been 10 years yet that part is not functional anymore.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 222015

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Scion Xb. While driving approximately 30 mph, the power steering became inoperable without warning. The failure recurred on one other occasion. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Hilo, HI, USA

Apr 232015

Today (April 23, 2015) I stopped at a store, everything was fine. After returning to my car I started it and proceeded to back out of my parking space and realized I had no power steering and noticed the steering wheel light was on. I took it to sears and they diagnosed that it was the ECU. I was told by sears that I had no choice but to bring it to a dealer to be repaired. I dropped it off about an hour ago and am waiting to get hit with the repair costs.

- Ludlow, MA, USA

Apr 202015

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Scion Xb. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact was unable to continue driving the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was to be towed to an authorized dealer for further inspection and diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 82,619.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 092015

2008 Scion Xb. Power steering failure as a result of power supply relay failure. Loss of power steering occurred upon start up. Power steering warning light on. Was told at local garage that there was an electrical issue that could only be addressed at dealership. Car will need to be driven to dealership, but without power steering it is potentially dangerous. I am lucky this did not occur unexpectedly while driving. What a lemon.

- Bolton, MA, USA

Mar 282015

I drove the vehicle on Saturday evening and experienced no problems. Returned to the vehicle on Sunday to attend church and the power steering would not function. I checked the fuses and they were not blown. The vehicle is almost impossible to drive without the power steering unit working. I live forty (40) miles from a dealer repair shop. It will be very expensive to have a wrecker service pick up the vehicle and haul to the dealer.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Mar 162015

xB 4-cyl

Lost power steering while making a U-turn. Was able to gain control by steering hard on the steering wheel! almost crashing onto another car. Found out that they're are so many complaints in regards to this matter online. Scion would not recall, or investigate further. Cost of repair, tow, diagnostic is in the $1500+!

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 262014

Electronic power steering failure while parked. When I parked the car my steering worked. When I started my car and preceded to back up, the power steering light appeared and it was nearly impossible to turn the wheel.

- C Hiacgo, IL, USA

Aug 222014

xB 4-cyl

I was driving my car down the road and, all of a sudden, the power steering completely stopped working which really caught me off guard. When this happened, I couldn't maintain control of the car but slowed down enough so that I eventually could steer it (very hard to steer). This could have caused a very serious accident or injury or fatality since it caught me completely by surprise. I wasn't very far from my Scion dealer and I carefully drove right over there and they told me that the power steering ECU computer had failed (the car has electronic steering) and would need to be replaced at a very high cost ($800). So, my car is sitting and waiting for a new computer which they didn't have and had to order. This is a terrible and very dangerous safety problem. I'm a fairly strong male and was able to regain control of the car, but if an elderly person or someone small and not strong was driving, they might not have been able to avoid an accident or fatality. This absolutely should not happen (especially in a car like mine with around 73,000 miles) and is, in my opinion, an extremely serious safety issue which needs to be investigated and compensation needs to be made by the manufacturer for repairs involving this problem. This is not an isolated problem involving 2008 Scion Xb cars, and many others have experienced it as an internet search clearly shows. Again, this is a serious safety issue which needs to be investigated immediately and a recall is clearly justified in this case.

- Wheat Ridge, CO, USA

Mar 232014

I got into my car to leave the grocery store about an hour ago, went to back up and it was impossible to steer and the power steering warning light was on. Luckily I was able to make it home but it was insanely difficult to steer being that I'm a small female with little upper body strength. This is a 2008 Scion Xb with 82K miles on it. I haven't had any issues until now and then suddenly this"?" my husband is going to look at it but after reading all the other complaints, looks like it'll be an expensive fix..

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Mar 042014

xB 6-cyl

My wife and I bought a Scion/Toyota expecting better reliability. While my wife was in a parking lot the steering light came on and lost power assist. She was unable to drive the car in this condition. It is going to be a fairly costly repair. It is unfortunate Toyota has not done something to help its customers. Due to the fact it is a known problem with a high failure rate.

- Lathrop, CA, USA

Jan 052014

xB 4-cyl

I was driving at 20mph off a ramp onto another road and the steering locked up and I had to jam on my brakes to stop my car fast or the car would have went off the side down a hill and crashed. Thank god I was not going fast or I wouldn't be here. That was the first time here we go again 2nd time after I fix it replaced the steering computer behind the steering wheel under the dash, worked great for about a day, now I start the car the power steering light on dash comes on I put the car in drive and the light goes out but I have steering. Put the car in neutral light comes on, put the car in reverse light goes out. Im so pissed off about this I still owe money on this car and nothing but trouble. What kind of cars do Toyota sell. They should pay for these steering problems not me. There should be a recall before someone gets killed.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Aug 312013

xB 4-cyl

My 17 year old daughter was driving 30 mph through an intersection, attempting a turn, when the power steering went completely out. She wasn't able to complete turn, almost had a wreck. She was completely overwhelmed and scared out of her mind when she made it home(her calls to me on cell weren't coming through for some reason). We purchased this car used, but had been very well maintained and had only 24K miles on it, so didn't think an extended warranty was needed. Unfortunately, it had 71K on it at the time of incident. I have seen multiple cases of this make/model with this same issue. Is someone going to have to die before this part gets recalled"?" it could've been my daughter!

- Burleson, TX, USA