NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2011 Scion xB seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Scion xB:

2011 Scion xB Owner Comments

May 012016

xB

Takata recall just wondering how long Toyota plans to drag this out? no one may sit in the passenger seat and this has been going on now for 6 months and all Toyota says is parts are unavailable.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Jun 232016

xB

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 Scion Xb. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V340000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Oct 192016

xB

Takata recall we were notified 5 months ago that there was a critical issue with passenger side airbag failing in such a way that could cause the death of the passenger and that I shouldn't drive with a passenger in my car. So, for 5 months I have done that, but given the severity of the problem and the resulting limitations on how I'm am able to use my car, I find the length of time to repair the airbags to be unacceptable. This is my family car and I normally use it for group trips and things like that. The value of the car is being degraded in my mind since we are coming up on nearly 10% of the car's life has been spent with a death-trap passenger seat.

- Toluca Lake, CA, USA

Oct 012016

xB

Takata inflators. Receiving a recall notice in March of 2016 and no replacement parts by October 2016 not being able to drive with a passenger in front seat for extended months and still no solution is an unacceptable amount of time. I will be looking into getting rid of this vehicle due to not being able to Transport my family safely or properly.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

May 232016

xB

Takata recall...pretty scary driving in a car where the passenger airbag could explode at any moment and shoot shrapnel metal at the passenger or driver. Would like this fixed asap

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Jul 252016

xB

7/18/16 I was informed is under the takata airbag recall. This personal vehicle is used daily transporting my children and adults for recreational athletics, school and personal convenience typical to a consumer. Upon learning of the recall I was informed due to faulty airbag(s) im advised to not allow occupants to sit in the front passenger seat. Toyota could not explain why there is no issue with driver side airbag. Barring occupants from the vehicle is not a solution. Subsequently I feel the vehicle unsafe for operation. I contacted Toyota informing them such. After weeks of arguing with Toyota and only after stating I would seek legal counsel, Toyota conceded to provide me a ┐like for like┐ replacement rental vehicle. During the process of facilitating the loaner vehicle I was subjected to unprofessional and derogatory commentary and behavior by Toyota employees whom stated ┐I was trying to get something for nothing┐. my vehicle was taken into possession by Toyota and when I asked where it would be taken and how it would be secured I was advised they were not sure. Furthermore to get possession of the replacement rental vehicle I was required to make a personal rental deposit and the vehicle provided is a sedan not an SUV (or like for like). When I asked Toyota about being provided the correct vehicle I was told I would be contacted. It has been 3 weeks since this occurred and Toyota has not informed me of the location and security of my car, the status and estimated time of repairs, nor how they intend to solve the issue of the replacement vehicle which is not a suitable 'like for like' solution. Furthermore, yesterday the rental car Agency contacted me to advise that Toyota was only covering 2 weeks of rental charges and wanting to know what my intentions are with the rental car┐ all while I continue to make payments on the SUV.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 182016

xB

The contact owns a 2011 Scion Xb. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V340000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Vista, CA, USA

Jul 252016

xB

The contact owns a 2011 Scion Xb. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V340000 (air bags); however, the part for the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact stated that a warning light illuminated, but was unsure if it was related to the air bags. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was unknown. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 192016

xB

"takata recall" I got a recall letter from Toyota about my front air bag, but was told remedy was not available yet, and is being told not to have anyone in my front passenger seat. This is ridiculous giving me a letter and I cannot do anything about it. I always have someone else in my front seat, sometimes I sit on the front passenger seat.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 162014

xB 4-cyl

Was driving on paved road at approx. 15 miles per hour, when another car came from my left (driver's ) side. He was drifting and hit my left front bumper area. The airbags did not deploy. I hit my head, left shoulder, and chest on the steering wheel. My head also hit the dash. My steering wheel is bent completely. The whole front bumper is off the car and the driver's side quarter panel and fender well. My hood is completely shifted to the passenger side. Cannot believe this much damage can be done without the airbags deploying. Updated 09-03-14 updated 11/26/2014

- Panama City, FL, USA