2.5

2005 Subaru Baja fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Subaru Baja:

2005 Subaru Baja Owner Comments

Dec 242015

Baja

It is a commonly known problem with Subaru of this era that the high pressure rubber fuel lines underneath the intake manifold will begin to lose their elasticity as they age and leak profusely when the temperature drops below 30 degrees Fahrenheit. Mechanics know this and it is discussed extensively on the Subaru forums. This happened to my 2005 Subaru Baja when I was traveling in the mountains. When I started the vehicle in the morning, fuel would begin puddling on the top of the engine. It was very noticeable due to the fuel vapors produced. As the engine warmed the rubber would swell and stop the leak after a good 30 minutes or longer depending on the outside temperature. I had to travel with a fire extinguisher at the ready and could not keep any vents open in the cabin. It was extremely dangerous and could not be remedied until I was back from my trip. Subaru issued a recall a few years ago for a small part near the fuel pump and tank because it had the potential to leak, but they haven't addressed this far more pervasive issue at all. The remedy requires a difficult and costly removal of the intake manifold and the replacement of all the rubber lines that run between the hard pipes on the high pressure fuel circuit. I suspect this is why they are not issuing a recall. It is a very real problem and needs to be addressed immediately.

- San Carlos, CA, USA

Jan 312013

Baja

The contact owns a 2005 Subaru Baja. After starting the vehicle, a strong fuel odor entered the vehicle. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09277000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jan 012014

Baja

Strong gasoline smell in passenger compartment, dealer can not locate problem, problem persists. Afraid car will catch on fire

- Bakersfiels, CA, USA

Jan 132015

Baja

It's been cold in MA like past winters and this is the first time this happened since owning my Baja for 10 years now, which I bought new. I noticed that when I first start up my car with the heat vents open to warm it inside, the car fills with strong fuel/gas fumes. I took my car to be serviced at a Subaru dealer and they checked all the fuel lines; tightened them, but could not find what is causing this problem. So now I recirculate the cabin air and don't draw in fresh air to try to keep the fumes out. It still continues to emit fumes when it's cold out, but it never happened in the past...10 years of cold winters and now there's a problem with gas fumes? something is very wrong and I do fear a fire.

- Westfield , MA, USA