2006 Subaru Baja engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Subaru Baja:

2006 Subaru Baja Owner Comments

Feb 172014

Baja 4-cyl

I have a 2006 Baja turbo, obsidian black, 5 speed. It has (60K) on the odometer. I bought it new and loved it from day one. However, February of last year that love was lost. The cel came on and I went to autozone to have the code pulled. It showed PO304. I was told it was a misfire on cylinder #4. I asked the guy there what the cause could be. He said it could be anything from a fuel injector, to the coil pack or a valve issue. I looked up on this forum and there were multiple cases that pulled up. I read what fixes worked for some and not for others. I tried injector cleaner. That did nothing. I installed a new coil pack on cylinder four. It ran better for a short time and then the cel came back on. I replaced all four spark plugs. Once again a short term fix, just a few miles. Finally, I installed a new fuel injector. Again better, then much worse. I took to the Baja to a local Subaru dealer fearing the worst. Sure enough, burnt exhaust valves on cylinders #2 and #4. they gave a rough quote of 5-6K to fix it. I was offered 7K for the truck in the shape it was in. Angered by the whole experience, I sent a letter to Subaru of America and Subaru Japan explaining in great detail the issue and that there were several similar cases noted online in various models of Subaru with the EJ255 engine. I was hoping they would offer some assistance, no dice. They basically thanked for sending them the letter and telling them of the issue. They stated since the Baja was out of warranty and there was no recall for this issue, there was nothing they would do.

- Burien, WA, USA