1998 Subaru Forester transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Subaru Forester:

1998 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Jan 092002

Forester 4WD

When vehicle was turned on it suddenly accelerated backwards very fast, crashing into two vehicles. Consumer has contacted dealer. Cause of the problem has yet to be determined. While vehicle was in park and consumer had foot on the brake and turned on ignition the vehicle accelerated very fast in reverse and caused accident, consumer is also having various electrical problems with the vehicle, such as the battery draining, security system goes off while parked, and the doors lock by themselves.

- Passadena, MD, USA

Jul 242001

Forester 4WD

Yesterday aft. My car drove itself into a store window with me at the wheel. Fortunately no one was hurt but it could have been a real disaster. I was already parked there, put the car in reverse and it took off without my touching the accelerator. In fact, my foot was on the brake the whole time (automatic transmission). My braking wouldn't stop it, so I managed to get it into a forward gear. Had I not, the car might well have driven further into the store and hurt the several shoppers. Once in a forward gear, the car then it took off forward on a wild ride; again, I was merely the passenger. I managed to steer the car for a short distance before it decelerated, my foot on the brake all this time, while I cleared a light post and two cars on either side, as well as traffic in the road.

- Watertown, MA, USA