$3,500.00

1. clearly mark differential and oil pan drain plugs (1 reports)
2001 Subaru Forester transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Subaru Forester:

2001 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Nov 252003

Forester L

White Glove car wash and lube in Brookhaven, PA (Phiadelphia suburb) recently changed my engine oil. The next day my transmission had a grinding noise. I was able to make it to Miller Subaru in Mt. Holly, NJ. They inspected the transmission, asked me if I had an oil change done recently and showed me that there was shiny marks on the differential gear oil drain plug. When the plug was removed only about a pint of gear oil came out of the differential. It should have about a gallon of gear oil instead. Subaru told me someone had drained the differential gear oil and did not refill it. The transmission was ruined and cost me $3500 to replace plus a 3 day rental car and lost time from work as the Subaru new car warranty I was told would not cover this repair. White Glove denied any responsibility and I am taking them along with Subaru of America to small claims court (more lost time from work etc.) The drain plugs for both the differential and the engine oil pan look the same and are only about 10 inches apart. Due to the design of the boxer engine, it is difficult to tell them apart. Although I have owned other Subarus over the years, I can no longer do so. Anyone else out there experience a similar problem?? Miller Subaru told me it happens about once a month at their dealership.

- , Brookhaven, PA, USA