2002 Subaru Forester engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Subaru Forester:

2002 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Nov 202006

Forester S

My 2002 Subaru Forester is having the same problem that I have read other owners post which is that it hesitates as if fuel is not getting to the engine and jerks spasmotically. Yes, if you want to look cool driving down the road, this is NOT the vehicle for you. It is especially dangerous when pulling onto a road or highway. You just hope not to be rear ended by another vehicle (especially a semi). Three months ago Subaru service replaced the oxygen sensor at a cost of $320 but it is now doing the same thing and I'm taking it in again this week. Interestingly, both times the problem started after a out-of-town drive when I used the cruise control. The problem doesn't happen when the cruise is on but started both times after I used the cruise control. Maybe it is just a coincidence but I hadn't used the cruise control at all between the two trips. Toward the end of both trips when I took the cruise control off, the "check engine" light came on and the car started hesitating (dangerously) and lurching (spasmotically). It is quite a site to watch me drive down the road.

- , Prairie Village, KS, USA