2003 Subaru Forester wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Subaru Forester:

2003 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Mar 042013

Have had to replace left front wheel bearing four times in the last six months. Each time, it was stated by the mechanic to be a faulty wheel bearing, but because of the number of instances, a question has been raised of possible other source.

- Arkadelphia, AR, USA

Nov 252009

I purchased a Subaru forrester with 38 K miles in August. During the thanksgiving holiday, I noticed a rubbing noise, consistent and louder while turning in the rear passenger side of the vehicle. Warranty from the dealership only lasted one thousand miles and they told me tough luck. A friend who is a "Subaru guy" told me I had a bad bearing, and to be careful, it was a common problem that could get worse quick. It did, and I have had my vehicle parked for the past few weeks as the noise loud one day and the wheel was actually loose. The vehicle is currently in the shop, having the rear wheel bearing replaced. The cost of the repair is 390 dollars, possibly 150 more if the mechanic finds out that a cap or seal for the axle is pitted and needs replacement. I have never driven the car in any extreme circumstances, mostly for a thirty mile highway commute to work, no stop and go or any sort of extraordinary driving. I had heard nothing but good things about Subaru, but this is no good as the wheel seemed to have loosened to a point of danger and I had it towed in to the shop.

- Traverse City, MI, USA