1.9

2006 Subaru Forester suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Subaru Forester:

2006 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

May 152015

Forester

The front control arms on my 2006 Subaru Forester failed on May 15, 2015. There was no warning (no sound, no shimmying, no steering issues) to suggest that something was about to happen. The main safety issue is that in 2012, Subaru issued a recall for Foresters and imprezas, rustproofing the control arms. I brought my car in at that time, and have the paperwork that indicates that this service was performed. I therefore assumed the car was safe. There has been no other recall. My car had 118,000 miles on it, and is well taken care of. I am not an aggressive, poor or off-road driver. My husband is experienced with cars and car repairs, and he also heard and felt nothing to suggest my car might have a problem when he drove the car prior to the accident. Fortunately, I was exiting a rotary onto a highway, so hadn't yet reached full speed. The car glided across another lane as I hit the brake, and a raised divider kept the car from continuing into oncoming traffic. This failure could happen to anyone else with a similar car history. That person could be driving at full speed, and might not be as lucky as I was in being able to stop safely. A deputy sheriff called aaa for me, and I was towed to a local Subaru dealership. They replaced both control arms, sway bars, and the axle. Subaru paid for all the repairs, and offered to pay for the towing. In 2014, the rear control arms were replaced; I brought the car in because it was making a noise and the rear of the car was not responding correctly. Subaru didn't cover that expense, and I didn't realize that I should have insisted that they do so. The experience suggested to me, however, that I would have plenty of warning should something happen to the other control arms. This was not the case in my situation, and others should be made of aware of the extreme danger they face.

- Kingston, NY, USA

Apr 292011

Forester 4-cyl

2006 Subaru Forester. Consumer writes in regards to wheel bearing malfunction. The consumer stated while driving, the vehicle began to make some unusual sounds. She pulled over to check the tires, because it sounded like a flat tire. However, everything looked normal, so she continued driving. As she drove a little further and made a left turn, the brakes went out. She slowly eased the vehicle to the side of the road, where the rear tire fell off the axle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. An inspection revealed the wheel bearing broke. The consumer stated the same bearing was replaced on April 29, 2011. Also, the power steering pump was replaced.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Jan 052012

Forester

The contact owns a 2006 Subaru Forester. The contact stated that he received the recall notice associated with NHTSA campaign id number 11V464000 (suspension:front:control arm:lower arm). The contact notified an authorized dealer and scheduled an appointment to have the vehicle repaired. The vehicle was then taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that his appointment was rescheduled because the parts necessary to remedy the failure were not available. The manufacturer was not notified and the vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileages were 115,000.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Nov 042011

Forester 4-cyl

I purchased my 2006 Subaru Forester brand new from the Subaru dealer in catonsville, md; russell Subaru. There were no miles on the vehicle when I bought it. Both rear bearings wore out on my car at almost the same exact time. Every mechanic with which I have spoken says this is common on these vehicles. My bearings wore out at about 70K miles. The Subaru dealer charged me approximately $800 to replace one of them. The other cost about $600 at an independent mechanic. The mechanics won't replace the bearings because they can't warranty the work so you end up replacing the hub assembly. That is why it cost so much. When it wears out it first starts to squeal and make a noise that gets progressively louder as you accelerate to moderate speed. My car now has 140K miles and my wheel bearings have begun making noise again. At a cost of ($600 - $800) X 2, this clearly seems like a poor design defect. I have owned many cars over the years and have never had to spend so much money for the same part in such a short time. The part wore out almost precisely after the extended warranty expired. Every person I know with a Subaru Forester has the same complaint. There are numerous forums on the web from owners with the same complaint. Subaru should pay the cost for replacement parts and labor to correct this problem, which is not typical of what a buyer would expect with routine maintenance for a nearly $30K vehicle. Aside from the premature wear of the rear wheel/hub assembly, I have basically been pleased with the performance of my Subaru.

- Bowie, MD, USA