2007 Subaru Forester drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Subaru Forester:

2007 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Apr 012013

Forester 4-cyl

My vehicle regularly shifts in a very imprecise way, at the wrong times, in particular at low speeds. There is also unusual delays in shifting down when quick power is applied, sometimes resulting in delays in emergency or quickly needed maneuvers. The care behaves in exactly the same ways as in NHTSA complaints #10480933 and #10317114. I have found many similar complaints in other fora in specialized car websites, which leads me to believe that this is a design and engineering defect on the part of Subaru, which has grave safety implications. I called one dealership and the customer service number at Subaru, and was told that no bulletins or recalls have been issued for this defect. In both cases, I was told that the cost of replacing the transmission, about $2,000 to $3,000 would be my responsibility. Given that this is a design or manufacturing defect, which has grown greater as the car ages, Subaru should be required to recall and repair the defects at no cost to the consumer.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Mar 012013

Forester 4-cyl

Rear axle hanger bearing gave out. Had to replace rear axle. Tires always maintained meticulously. Concerning because symmetrical AWD failure in winter driving is safety issue.

- Sioux City, IA, USA

May 282010

The vehicle hesitates and "bucks" at low speeds, turning corners, accelerating/decelerating, changing lanes, going up a grade or hill and does not shift smoothly. Shifting gears seems to take longer than expected and the tach registers high and then erratically jumps down (or up) to a much lower level on the tach, causing the vehicle to shift erratically or to seemingly get stuck in a gear. Also, the vehicle may try to shift while not accelerating, sometimes when traveling at a higher speed. The dealer where I purchased the vehicle and where I have had it exclusively serviced cannot seem to diagnose a problem. They have changed wires and replaced an air fuel sensor, only to say they cannot find a problem that might be related to the automatic transmission. I notified the dealer of this situation before my 3 year warranty expired, but even back then, they said they could find no problem. I have driven the vehicle continuously since the date I initially notified the dealer and have repeatedly informed them of this issue, but the condition has continued to get more severe over time. I truly feel unsafe in the vehicle and that at any point in time, while on a highway or regular road, that the vehicle could fail and this condition could cause an accident and/or result in a crash of some kind. I have now driven three Subaru loaners from the dealer and I find that each vehicle exhibits signs of the same situation I have experienced with my vehicle. I wonder if Subaru may not be telling its customers of this potential defect at the time of purchase or if Subaru just does not have the knowledge and/or skill in its manufacturing procedures (especially related to the transmission) to properly assemble its vehicles for the safety of all drivers.

- New Britain, CT, USA