2.2

2009 Subaru Forester miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Subaru Forester:

2009 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Sep 102014

Forester

Car ran out of oil. There was no warning light, until car died on the side of the road, then low oil light came on. I had been mostly keeping up with my oil changes, and was only a few thousand miles over recommended limits. Engine seized and had to be towed. My mechanic tried to rebuild it, but was unable to. He had to replace the engine with a used engine, at a cost of $6,000, and six weeks of a rental car. I reached out to Subaru for help, but they would do nothing unless my car was in their shop, at which point they may be able to pay for a portion of it. They asked if I had been getting my maintenance done at their shop, and I hadn't because they want $1500 for every 20,000 mile service work done, or whatever, which I can't afford. So I assumed at that point it would be pointless, and more costly, to have the car towed there and then have to pay for a new engine, or have them try to sell me a new car. I will never buy a Subaru again and will never recommend anyone ever get one. I googled incidence of repair and found there are hundreds or thousands of this happening to others, and scads of lawsuits against Subaru for this. I tried to join a class action, but have heard nothing. To my mind, a car engine should not run out of oil and seize after only a few thousand miles over the limit. There have been no oil leaks in my garage or under my car.

- Upland, CA, USA

Nov 252014

Forester 4-cyl

The secondary air pump in Forester/WRX and other Subaru, turbo models accumulates moisture, as a result of which, in many vehicles the emissions system becomes inoperative with engine malfunction codes P2444, P2444B, P0410, P2440 and other such codes. This appears to be a recurring and an engineering defect in the design of Subaru turbo models which requires expensive fix (upto $1500) and without which, the aforementioned Subaru vehicles will not pass emission controls. Most owners are forced to resort to work arounds such as getting rid of the secondary air injection system altogether, but this increases emissions above epa norms. Please investigate into this issue.

- Irvine, CA, USA

May 212012

Forester 4-cyl

After a day of heavy rain we found a puddle of water on the passenger side floor, with all windows and doors closed. No sunroof. This happened once before with heavy rain August 2011.

- Middletown, NJ, USA