2013 Subaru Forester engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Subaru Forester:

2013 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Aug 152016

In June while driving to la from yosemite, my oil light began flickering, engine had about 46K, then came on at times while driving from san diego to la. Subaru told me it was a faulty oil switch. Replaced with autozone PS309. Drove from denver to bismarck nd to drive my cousins kid with a tumor on his heart and spine to mayo clinic to rochester, mn for chemo 2 times to take some pressure off of the family. In the middle of South Dakota, my oil light came on again. I changed the oil and filter. Oil light still on, even though totally full of oil, engine is still very hot. Did not sleep all night, worried about car. I went 35 mph on the highway to Subaru dealer in bismarck nd, and was told there is new oil sensor, no problems, drive on, would cost $175 to change sensor (my engine is still under warranty). My mileage dropped from 30 mpg to 25.5 mpg after dealership visit on way to rochester, and 27 mpg back to bismarck. Called Subaru dealer, was told it was the gas I was using. Called soa, basically waste of time. Changed oil and filter again. Drove to rochester, slightly better gas mileage, low oil light was on the entire way back. Added 1/2 qt. Called Subaru dealer about gas mileage drop told me it was the gas. Drove from bismark to Missouri to denver about 1200 miles. Oil light on after about 10 hours. Smelled burnt tar smell near engine. Checked oil in denver. Oil at low level of stick. Added about a qt. Going to dealer to see what can be done.

- Denver, CO, USA

Feb 072015

2013 Subaru Forester - constantly burning oil. Needs to be replenished often.

- Neenah, WI, USA

Sep 072014

Forester 4-cyl

My car has been consuming excessive amounts of oil since I have been made aware of the problem in April of 2014 by independent mechanics. At that oil change I had about a quart of synthetic left after only 4500 miles. I took it in early because the car was riding rough and that was when they discovered the low oil level. I have come to find out there is a class action suit against Subaru America over this costly problem. I'm told by Subaru that after a compression test they will change the piston rings however I'm told by my mechanic that the piston rings are damaged by low oil and does not fix the problem. This complaint is prompted after I discovered the hords of complaints online regarding Subaru's oil consumption problem. I feel that Subaru is putting a bandaid over the problem and safety is in fact an issue as people have had complete engine failure and others have spent thousands of dollars fixing damage to other areas of the engine because of low oil. There should be a recall.

- Smallwood, NC, USA