2014 Subaru Forester fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Subaru Forester:

2014 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Aug 282016

Forester

I was on an on ramp onto the highway when the computer in the center of the dash started alerting that several systems needed check. All the dashboard indicators went off and the vehicle lost power even when I pressed the gas pedal. After turning the car off and then back on again it was idling hard and it several warning lights remained on. The car was towed under warranty to the nearest dealership. Upon investigation the dealer said there was a bad coil. After replacing the coil the vehicle still didn't work. Now they claimed there was a bad fuel injector. After replacing that the car continued not to work. The problem they kept seeing was a misfire in cylinder 4. they changed O-rings, they cleaned the engine, they even ordered a new engine and replaced the engine and it still suffers from the misfire. The car has now been in the shop for 34 days and they have no idea what is wrong or how to fix it.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Jun 202016

Forester

While driving vehicle on highway speeds in temperatures around 85-90 (or greater) degrees vehicle will not allow acceleration. Vehicle stumbles, detonates and will not allow the driver to apply power without hesitation and engine stumbles. This problem can be recreated at will and yet the vehicle will not throw a cel unless a larger failure happens, which typically is the #3 cylinder burns off the spark plug electrode and damages the engine. Subaru is aware of the issue but considers this condition normal. The vehicle is not appropriately mapped for the Subaru suggested fuel octane level, has turbo boost piping leaks according to numerous individuals.

- Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Aug 042015

Forester

Sudden unintended acceleration. The vehicle rapidly accelerated as though the accelerator pedal had been floored. This occurred immediately after I shifted from reverse to drive to leave my driveway without my the accelerator. The vehicle wouldn't respond to braking. I had to immediately turn the wheel to avoid going into the culvert directly across from my driveway. The road then is an immediate right-hand turn but the car was already going too fast for me to successfully stay on the road. The car went into the culvert across that road, deploying all the airbags, and essentially demolishing the car (>$20K to repair). My wife and I were taken to the hospital via ambulance for various tests and ct scans; fortunately, not too much damage beyond what the seat belts and airbags did to us....updated 09/22/15

- Ithaca, NY, USA

May 072014

Forester

Vehicle hesitates upon acceleration from a stop with slight shuttering. Car now has 6,600 mile and still has the problem. Dealer acknowledges the problem but claims this is the way the car was designed.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Sep 152014

Forester

In October of 2013, I purchased by way of lease, a brand new 2014 Subaru Forester. Right after purchasing a 2014 Subaru Forester I began to have issues with the oil consumption in my vehicle. In example, before my first oil change of 3,000 miles, I had to have my car assessed by the oil technicians as the oil light kept coming on. The oil technicians would "top" off my fluids and along I went. Sadly, after having my 3,000 mile oil change, I continued to have issues with oil consumption. I think I paid a visit to the oil technicians at least once every 6 weeks or so; so much so that the oil technicians were tired of seeing my vehicle. I practically developed a personal relationship with the oil technicians. If they did not know me by name, they were at least familiar with my vehicle. To make a long story longer, this month (September) or better stated less than a year of having a 2014 in my possession, while still being in the year 2014 with 3 months left to go in this year, I had some major work done to my vehicle. Up to and including a replacement of the engine. Please see the attached invoice to see all the items that were replaced. Now you are problem asking well how many miles are on the car? there are only 7,600 miles on the vehicle. In other words I put maybe 760 miles on my vehicle per month in less than a year.opportunity: Clearly, I was sold a high priced lemon; a dud. In order to improve on customer satisfaction, it is in my opinion that Subaru should provide me with a 2014 Subaru Forester that is not defective or one that does not have design flaws. No vehicle with less than 8,000 miles and less than a year old should require an engine replacement. Please be advised that after the work was done now the car has a vibration and feels as if it is going to shut off.

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 062014

Forester 4-cyl

This problem has been getting progressively worst. The car has been having troubles turning over on cold starts, and has experienced a loss of propulsion and stall going up hill including a loss of brakes since I bought it a year ago. On 9/6/2014 the car was started and was idling high (approximately 4000rpm), check engine light was on, speed control light was on, incline alert light on, sport mode light was on and check emissions system light was on. Had to move the car out of the garage and it barely made it up the incline in the underground garage as it was not responding to the accelerator, called for a tow which never arrived and tried to restart out of frustration all lights were off and car I made it to the dealer which was not far away. Have already had the dealer inspect the car once to get to the bottom of the problem and they reported their diagnostics showed nothing was wrong and that car electrical\computer problems cannot be fixed until they break completely (or someone is hurt or injured perhaps). There was one more report similar to this on carcomplaints.com that occurred at high speed. Seems to me that car is not safe at this point.

- Seattle, WA, USA