2014 Subaru Forester fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Subaru Forester:

2014 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Jan 062014

Forester 4-cyl

At cold starting, approximately one time out of 20, the car is very difficult to start. It cranks for up to 10 seconds before starting. I don't know if it's a fuel delivery or an ignition problem. It has happened at ambient temperatures from 35 to 65 degrees. If I didn't continue cranking the engine to an extent that I think is harmful to it, it wouldn't start. I consider that a safety issue, if I needed to get the car going quickly.

- Sammamish, WA, USA

Mar 142014

Forester 4-cyl

This vehicle is a Forester xt turbo. I was operating on cruise control at 78 mph, approximately 900 miles from home, when a sudden loss of propulsion occurred. Dashboard had multiple warning lights. Engine was still operating, though at very low RPM so I was able to maintain steering and braking control. After maneuvering to the side of the road, I noticed the tachometer was fluctuating between 500-800 RPM. I turned off the engine and was able to restart. The following warning lights were still illuminated: Check engine, hill control, cruise control, and operating mode. Operating mode was stuck in "sport" mode. I was able to drive vehicle at normal speed to nearest dealer approximately 10 miles away. The service technician stated I had an error code of P0606. This is a voltage issue on the engine control module, (ECM). The corrective action is to re-flash the ECM computer chip. This is a restricted action, requiring a field service engineer to come to the dealer to do the procedure. The technician stated they had already experienced this with a vehicle they sold but the problem with the module usually occurs on engine start. The technician cleared the error codes and I continued on my trip. Upon returning to my home, I took the vehicle to my dealer to be serviced. My dealer stated they were one of the first to experience this issue. I am wondering why there has been no recall/notice to owners of this problem since it has been known for a while. It is frightening to lose power when cruising at highway speed.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 212013

Forester 4-cyl

I was turning right to park at a state park. The parking area is sandy and full of pot holes. I was almost stopped when the car accelerated violently. My car mounted a flat boulder, one of many in the parking area. I still don't feel like I could have stepped or stomped on the gas pedal vs the brake pedal, but it is a possibility. I am a very cautious driver. Could this be a defect in this car? I feel that it should be reported and noted in case others have the same experience.

- Westport, MA, USA

Feb 142014

Forester 4-cyl

While driving our 2014 Forester xt 2.0 uphill on the highway at about 50 mph, the cel, hill-assist, eyesight-disabled and another warning light all came on. I pulled off the road, stopped and called the dealer, who said the car could be safely driven in for inspection as the cel was not blinking. Apparently the cel light sets off a bunch more to get your attention. The obd codes the dealer pulled said the catalytic converter had failed (no further explanation was offered). They said a new one would be ordered and installed under warranty. So the dealer put in the new catalytic converter yesterday, and now the engine performs extremely poorly compared to before service. The electronic turbo boost gauge now shows negative boost (I.e., no activation) until over 20% throttle position in I mode (before, turbo boost was obtainable at 8% throttle). There is a humming sound (rather like the alternator belt noise Ford vans make) that drowns out the engine purr when gently revving the engine in park and, when driving, the cvt shifts very irregularly and at much higher rpms in I mode (e.g., staying in one gear until tach hits 2000 before shifting where before the tach never went above 1500 at any speed unless we were in S/I or S# mode and shifting manually with the paddles). I have notified Subaru of America of the situation and this car is going back to the shop first thing Monday morning.

- Blanchardville, WI, USA