2015 Subaru Forester engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Subaru Forester:

2015 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

May 062016

Since I bought the car new, when at intersections, car hesitates and stumbles on acceleration when requiring instant acceleration to avoid collision with on coming traffic. I reported this at the first oil change, that this has happened several times, and does it intermittently, and also reported it to Subaru dealers at my second and third oil changes, and left car for 3 days but dealer cant duplicate. It scares the hell out of me not knowing if car will respond or not and getting hit for cutting in fron of on coming traffic. Subaru of America believes this is not a problem but this is a safety defect and refuse to buy back car. I drive defensively until I can get rid of vehicle due to this safety problem, car itself does fine but the accelerator problem is too dangerous to keep vehicle for me or anyone that would buy it if traded in without being informed of past history. I like Subaru but failure to buy back car is putting other drivers at risk, and why would a dealer want to take my car in trade with this history since August of 2014. Subaru needs to buy back this car or risk liability or negligence on Subaru of America and its dealers. Just buy back the car and get it off the road. This is the second report because I did not put the full VIN number previously which was FH403648

- Quaker Hill, CT, USA

May 062016

Since I bought the car new, when at intersections or stop signs, car hesitates and stumbles on acceleration when requiring instant acceleration to avoid collision with on coming traffic. I reported this to Subaru dealers and told there is no problem. Vehicle does this intermittently but scares the hell out of me not knowing if the car is going to accelerate or not and get hit by on coming traffic

- Milford, MA, USA

Apr 172015

Vehicle suddenly and unexpectedly accelerated while driver was parking while applying brakes. Vehicle hit house and porch, shearing off the gas meter where it meets the underground line. Eyesight object detection system did not stop the vehicle.

- Apollo, PA, USA

Aug 242015

While finalizing parking within a parking lot space at very low speed (last 2 feet) with foot on brake, the engine suddenly revved and the car accelerated without warning and struck the parked car on the opposite parking space. Both cars sustained moderate front-end damage. The other car was able to be driven away but ours had front fender parts pushed into the front drivers tire and had to be towed away to the repair shop. Not sure of the cost to repair the other (parked) car but ours ran approximately $5000 due to front frame damage. No air bags deployed, no one was injured. Police officer who responded said low speed impacts do not normally set off the air bags. Repair shop said they were not able to tell on the car computer what the sudden acceleration was due to. Contacted our insurance agent who recommended we report the sudden acceleration to Subaru and NHTSA. Subaru dealer denied any such accelerations and said there was no recourse. Found several instances very similar to our on NHTSA site for Subaru Foresters in 2014 and 2015 model years and decided to make a report. Odometer reading at time of accident: 5,814.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Jan 042016

Car suddenly accelerated, about 10-15 feet, from reverse to drive into a brick building, in a private parking lot causing 7K damage to my cars. Prior to this crash, the lane departure and auto breaking lights were flashing on and off. I was going to take the car to the dealer however, the crash prevented that. The car was repaired and taken to the Subaru dealer where purchased, and they examined the car and said it was working properly. Since then, my screen date was set and then reverted back to Feb 4, 2010. Also, the lane departure and auto braking lights have turned off while driving twice since getting the car back. Additionally, the screen now displays additional messages that it hadn't in the past, such as vehicle ahead has moved, and road conditions might be icy. The latter should have shown up prior to this accident, living in the snow belt of ne Ohio. Has there been any "silent recalls" placed on this car since 2010 regarding the sudden acceleration issues that have not received a formal recall on, rather that Subaru has issued this information to it's techs only? I am concerned that this gas pedal issue has been dismissed due to weather mats, drivers age or driver's foot missing the correct pedal. I am an experienced and safe driver who does not like getting scammed by a manufacture of inferior product. Subaru is love....questionable since it seems to me they are making changes without informing the government of these problems.

- Painesville, OH, USA

Dec 012015

While starting the car with only 2.2K miles the check engine light came on and disabled the vehicle dynamics control, the cruise control and the incline start assist leaving the vehicle without important safety features in bad weather conditions.

- Malverne, NY, USA

May 052015

Car was driven out of new car dealer without incident by driver with 50 plus years experience. Approximately three to four miles into trip car experienced sudden unintended acceleration after going through a traffic light. Car proceeded into wooded area and hit tree causing lower leg injuries to driver and moderate to severe damage to car. Driver was not entrapped upon emt arrival. Engine returned to normal idle speed. Driver is confident car has problem with vehicle speed control and /or engine computer. Car traveled at over 40 mph during incident and could not be stopped through normal braking action.

- Katonah, NY, USA

Aug 032015

I'm having an issue with my 2015 Forester 2.5I cvt that has nearly caused accidents, but when I took it in for service today I was dismissed without being helped. My car has about 24,700 miles on it, so it's thoroughly broken in and I'm used to the way the cvt works. In the past month or so, I've noticed bucking, shuddering, and power loss during initial acceleration from a stop. Sometimes this is just a little bumping, but other times it's a near total loss of power for several seconds, long enough to be very dangerous while accelerating or especially while turning. When I took the car in for service, the advisor there started to tell me that the behavior is normal even before anyone had started to look at the car. After a tech took it for a test drive, the advisor told me that my concerns "describe a perfect cvt" and he doesn't see a problem, and that it's expected behavior to have dangerous power loss like this. I was told that my problem is not a problem and sent away. Power loss like this during acceleration is clearly a problem, despite the claims of the Subaru employees, and I do not feel safe in this car. Subaru refuses to address this issue. The service advisor suggested that I avoid accelerating or turning any time power loss would be a danger or issue - this is clearly not an acceptable solution.

- Stoughton, WI, USA

Aug 112015

Forester 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2015 Subaru Forester. While pulling into a parking space, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into a brick wall. The contact stated that the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 3,277....updated 10-13-15 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired. Updated 10/15/15

- White Plains, NY, USA

Jul 292015

The contact owns a 2015 Subaru Forester. While driving the vehicle during the daytime at 25 mph, the speedometer was not as visible and failed to illuminate properly. The vehicle was to taken the dealer where it was diagnosed that it was standard for those models of vehicles. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,200.

- Tewksbury, MA, USA

Jul 072015

Sudden unintended acceleration: The vehicle vigorously accelerated immediately after shifting from park to drive without touching the accelerator pedal. The vehicle crashed through a fence ~8 feet away, pushed over 2 eight foot trees behind the fence then became high centered on a 30" "retaining ~5 feet beyond the fence. The vehicle accelerated in spite of full application of the brakes. The vehicle was unable to move forward any more after it was high centered on the retaining wall but the engine speed remained at a high RPM. The engine slowed down only when the ignition was turned off.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Jun 132015

From a full stop, A/C on, I began to accelerate at a green light. Car stopped acceleration at aprox. 2 miles per hour and coasted thru large intersection before accelerating again. I checked to see if the car was in drive and that the emergency brake was off. I took car to dealer who said no "error code" is available that would indicate a problem and they were unable to replicate the issue. Obviously there is an issue because another driver made this same report. This is a huge concern for me because 1) what happens if the car fails again when I pull into traffic with my kid in the car? and 2) I bought a Subaru because they are supposed to be safe and reliable. I'm seriously reconsidering my decision now.

- Medford, OR, USA

Jan 222015

The contact owns a 2015 Subaru Forester. The contact stated that after the transmission was shifted into the reverse position, the accelerator pedal became stuck and accelerated without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into a pole and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained cervical nerve damage that required medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 3,000.

- Belmont, MA, USA

Jan 052015

Pulled into parking space, foot on brake. Sudden acceleration, could not stop vehicle. It drove down a hill, finally stopping with brake pedal and emergency brake fully activated. Two flat tires on driver side of car from running over an elevated sidewalk pad. Dealer could find nothing wrong with it.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Jan 122015

The contact owns a 2015 Subaru Forester. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the throttle response was delayed. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 12,400. Updated 03/10/15

- Maupin, OR, USA

Nov 222014

Forester 4-cyl

I was turning into my parking space at my condo, and the car suddenly accelerated and went over the car stop and the sidewalk and finally stopped when I hit a wall and palm tree. I stood on the brake, but it would not stop. I kept thinking "why isn't it stopping". I know I was going slow because I have to make a turn to go into my space, and as my neighbors said, I never drive fast coming into the parking lot.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA