2016 Subaru Forester engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Subaru Forester:

2016 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Feb 022016

Eyesight system did not pick up vehicle in fromt of car and proceed to drive straight toward at 70mph, I had to brake the car. This happened twice in one day. Dealer said they tested car and system was working fine. The system did not detect the large vehicle in front.

- Newfield, NY, USA

Jan 262016

In a closed parking lot, I was getting ready to park in a space. With my foot on the brake, I cut the wheel to the right and then eased my foot off the brake to maneuver into the parking spot. I pushed the brake again in preparation to straighten the wheels and finish parking, no speed registering on the gauge. With my foot on the brake the vehicle began to accelerate and jumped. I lifted my foot off the brake, and slammed it back down on the brake attempting to halt the vehicle. Instead, with my foot still firmly on the brake, the vehicle accelerated again, and faster, right into a wall. I had been unable to straighten the wheels, so the impact was not head-on, but rather continuing the right-turn's angle, and impact occurred on the driver's side, front-end. 2 airbags deployed with a slight delay, causing severe bruising to my legs which affect my walking, and muscle tears causing severe neck and spine pain. Though I was wearing my seatbelt during the collision, it retracted when I opened the door, and we were unable to dislodge it when we had to move the vehicle for towing. To reiterate, while attempting to park the vehicle at minimal speed, the vehicle accelerated on its own, with my foot firmly pressing the brake.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 232016

Vehicle begins to accelerate from parking lot into traffic, but then gas pedal hits a "dead spot". gas pedal is non-responsive. Unable to accelerate until continually depressing gas pedal 3/4 way to floor board. Then it surges ahead! problem is repeatable and in my opinion very dangerous. 1. pulling into traffic and unable to accelerate to traffic speed. 2. sudden, uncontrolled acceleration. I contacted the original dealership service department and they said it's normal. Have contacted another dealership and they will revisit my complaint.

- Ephrata, WA, USA

Oct 082015

Car has 11,000 miles, automatic transmission. While driving straight on a highway using the cruise control set at 65 mph with the adaptive cruise control on (feet not touching the gas pedal or brake) the car engine RPM's began increasing till it reached the rev limiter. At the same time the engine RPM began revving high, the car began to coast as if it was in neutral. But the gear shift remained in drive. After a few seconds of the engine revving as high as it could, the engine shut off and I was able to get the car stopped. I had to put my hazards on and steer off to the shoulder to avoid getting hit from behind. This has happened to me twice. First time 10/8/15 the car would not start after I coasted to a stop and had to have it towed to the Subaru dealer. They hooked the car up to their computer for a diagnostic test and found no error codes. Second time this happened to me on 1/2/16 after stopping on the shoulder I was able to restart the car and drive home without using cruise control. The car is going back to the dealer for another test this Friday 1/8/16. This whole process probably takes about 30 second or so. But its very dangerous. Its almost as if the transmission is some how not engaged. Since the cruise is set at 65 mph it tries to increases engine RPM to maintain 65 mph speed but the transmission is not engaged so car does not accelerate. Cruise sees car slowing down so speeds up the engine to compensate. Cars still doesn't speed up. Eventually engine RPM maxes out for a few seconds and turns itself off. I feel like the problem lies with the transmission most likely or possibly the cruise control. I also notice when pulling out of a parking space going from reverse to drive it takes about 5 seconds for the transmission to engage. To the point that I roll back a few feet.

- Apex, NC, USA

Dec 142015

Eyesight and cruise control intermittent shutdown and restart. On an increasingly frequent basis, when the cruise control and eyesight are engaged, both will disable and can be a few seconds to minutes before the eyesight re-enables and the cruise control can manually be re-engaged. When this happens, vehicle goes from auto-drive to manual-drive. Also, an E1 error appeared on the odometer display.

- Morganville, NJ, USA

Dec 132015

The car was being driven in a residential area. The driver stopped to make a U-turn then slowly started to take her foot off the brake while moving the steering wheel to the left when the car suddenly accelerated to the right (opposite direction). The driver lost control of the vehicle and the vehicle stopped only after colliding into a street pole.

- Glendale, CA, USA