2016 Subaru Forester miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Subaru Forester:

2016 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Jul 142016

Forester

I own a three-month old 2016 Subaru Forester. I have been experiencing breathing issues since the weather has turned hot. Brought the car into dealer because I thought it was mold. They checked it out and said no mold found. They have no idea what it can be. I believe something in the interior of the car is causing an allergic reaction. This is not my first new car and I have never had this reaction before, however, this is my first new Subaru.

- Holtsville, NY, USA

Jul 142016

Forester

Non-turbo model stalls in traffic without warning. First air conditioner shuts off, along with electrical, then engine stalls. Nothing unusual prior to shutting off. Vehicle becomes nearly impossible to control with limited braking and steering. Car will not immediately re-start. This has occurred six times since new; dealer has not fixed problem, but has seen video of the car stalling in traffic that my wife took while I was driving. Vehicle was in gear, moving at low to moderate speed each time, with ac operating and no other accessories or unusual situations.

- Lutherville, MD, USA

Jul 182016

Forester

Three times over the past 2 weeks, my vehicle has stalled at highway speeds. All three times the incident occurred when I was traveling with 1/4 or less of gas (but these incidents did not occur due to having run out of gas). All three times I was attempting to accelerate or drive uphill. The vehicle stalled all times at around 65-75 mph of speed, causing me great concern when I had to quickly pull over on heavily traveled highways such as ct route 84 and vt route 91. I brought my vehicle to bertera Subaru in hartford, ct, where I had purchased it, and was told they were unable to fix my issue until it happened more consistently. I mentioned recall wta-62 and was told it does not apply to my vehicle. Recall wqz-61 was performed on my vehicle.

- East Hampton, CT, USA

Jun 032016

Forester

I was pulling into a parking spot and had my foot on the brake as I was slowing to a stop and the car suddenly accelerated and jumped the curb and median heading towards a building. All the while my foot was still on the brake and I turned the wheel to the right to avoid building and the car stopped. Terrifying experience.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Mar 202016

Forester

Subaru eyesight technology that prevents accidents and save lives is not offered on Subaru Forester basic model - Subaru created 2 classes of citizens - who can afford expensive premium trims of Subaru Forester (you can have life saving technology) and those who can afford only basic trim (you are not allowed to have your car to be equipment with life saving eyesight technology - no money - die then). The reason - money grabbing! Subaru wants to force buyers to buy more expensive trims. But this technology is most needed for parents (who can be distracted by I.e. choking child) and parents usually have a lot of expenses and cannot afford expensive trims. This money grabbing discrimination is criminal and kills children! I see a lot of accidents caused by parents distracted by children - how many children have to die because Subaru wants to grab more money and do not offer life saving eyesight on basic trim of Subaru Forester. Please note that I will be writing to members of congress (I want congress to have a hearing on that criminal discrimination that kills children) and your action taken will be included in that hearing.

- Beverly Hills, CA, USA

Mar 102016

Forester

My 2016 Subaru lost all power 160 miles from my home on interstate 40 in lexington North Carolina.....I was sold this starlink enhanced roadside assistace when I purchased the car.....well this system failed miserably and I was almost struck by a tractor trailer....I was stuck on a bridge with no shoulder and explained to both operators on starlink after my first 4 attempts to reach emergency services failed after hitting the "sos" button above my head....finally it came on....the operator had no clue where my location was.....Subaru touts this service as "starlink will know your exact coordinates" well that could not be anything farther from the truth...."can you tell me what mile marker you are at"...no I said....."any llandmarks you can see" he said......"um no I said...I am in the middle of nowhere"....you have to give me more information than this" he had the nerve to say....."I said for what reason did I pay $150 for a service that gave me a very dangerous false sense of security.....attached you will find Subaru marketing material and false advertisements on the safety and effectiveness of the system....I am having tractor trailers passing me at over 70 miles an hour literally 4 feet from me....I had to get out of my car and seek protection in 30 degree weather behind a metal barrier on the bridge.....I was told my tow truck would take 2 hours to get to me......some how an hour later I was able to get the car to start and move it to a safer place just off the next exit.....some one will die from the lack of this system delivering on its bold promises....is it going to be after I send this letter and it is ignored?

- Greenville, SC, USA

Feb 022016

Forester

Eyesight system did not pick up vehicle in fromt of car and proceed to drive straight toward at 70mph, I had to brake the car. This happened twice in one day. Dealer said they tested car and system was working fine. The system did not detect the large vehicle in front.

- Newfield, NY, USA

Jan 262016

Forester

In a closed parking lot, I was getting ready to park in a space. With my foot on the brake, I cut the wheel to the right and then eased my foot off the brake to maneuver into the parking spot. I pushed the brake again in preparation to straighten the wheels and finish parking, no speed registering on the gauge. With my foot on the brake the vehicle began to accelerate and jumped. I lifted my foot off the brake, and slammed it back down on the brake attempting to halt the vehicle. Instead, with my foot still firmly on the brake, the vehicle accelerated again, and faster, right into a wall. I had been unable to straighten the wheels, so the impact was not head-on, but rather continuing the right-turn's angle, and impact occurred on the driver's side, front-end. 2 airbags deployed with a slight delay, causing severe bruising to my legs which affect my walking, and muscle tears causing severe neck and spine pain. Though I was wearing my seatbelt during the collision, it retracted when I opened the door, and we were unable to dislodge it when we had to move the vehicle for towing. To reiterate, while attempting to park the vehicle at minimal speed, the vehicle accelerated on its own, with my foot firmly pressing the brake.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 142015

Forester

Eyesight and cruise control intermittent shutdown and restart. On an increasingly frequent basis, when the cruise control and eyesight are engaged, both will disable and can be a few seconds to minutes before the eyesight re-enables and the cruise control can manually be re-engaged. When this happens, vehicle goes from auto-drive to manual-drive. Also, an E1 error appeared on the odometer display.

- Morganville, NJ, USA

Nov 032015

Forester

Models w/ manual climite control: Very hard to see settings, especially in day time, and if need to adjust while driving such as to de-fog windows, may result in driving off the side of the road and wrecking.

- Blacksburg, VA, USA