1995 Subaru Impreza seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1995 Subaru Impreza:

1995 Subaru Impreza Owner Comments

Jun 052002

Impreza L

If anyone has an immediate solution to my problem, please contact me via e-mail. I recently purchased a pre-owned 95 Impreza wagon. I have no problem with the operation/mechanics of the car, but I do have a problem with the front driver/passenger seatbelts. I am a large person (both in height and weight). The factory seatbelts in the Impreza do not fit me. I've never owned a vehicle where this was a problem, and in fact my previous car, an 89 Mazda 323 hatch, gave me no problem at all with the seat belt! As it turns out, Subaru is one of a handful of companies who do not make extenders for their seat belts, nor do they have available larger replacement belts. The so-called "universal" seat belt extenders that some places sell are junk! This places me in a very hazardous situation. Not only am I at risk of serious injury if in an accident, but I'm in potentially constant trouble with law enforcement! I was told that I can get a note from my physician excusing me from wearing seatbelts because of my size. This is nonsense! It's the law, and it's for my protection, but because of my size it's OK to place myself at risk? I don't think so! I would like any information anyone out there might have on this matter. You may e-mail me at Thank you!

- , Woodbury, NJ, USA