2002 Subaru Impreza brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Subaru Impreza:

2002 Subaru Impreza Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Feb 042002

Impreza 4WD

On 2/4/02 I was coming up to a stop light behind traffic. When I applied my brakes nothing happened. I had brake pedal but the car did not slow down at all. I immediately I geared down going about 20mph and applied the brakes again but no reaction. I hit the car in front at the rate of about 10mph and did considerable damage to my car. This was not the first time I had a problem with the brakes. In Oct. 2001 I applied the brakes at about 55mph, the ABS system kicked in, but the vehicle didn't even slow down. I continued trying the brakes for at least 1 mile down the road with no slowing of the vehicle. Finally the brakes started to work and I continued on my way. In Dec. When I took the car in for servicing, I stated this incident and was told that the ABS braking system isn't supposed to stop or slow down the car. From that point I decided to brake the car by gearing down so the ABS brakes would never kick in. In Jan. I applied the brakes one day to turn into my driveway and nothing not even the ABS. A little further down the hill, the brakes worked and I stopped. It was a little slippery that day so I thought the failure to slow down or stop was related to the road conditions. Then on 2/4/02 the brakes failed to have any reaction once again and this time there was an accident. I do not intend to drive the car again until this problem is solved.

- Forestville, PA, USA

Feb 082002

Impreza 4WD

ABS is not working properly! there are at least 44 others with exact same problem I know of. ABS engages at low speeds over bumpy roads, and lose braking power. Alot of braking power gone. Some one will get hurt soon.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Oct 012001

Impreza 4WD

The braking system often fails when the brakes are applied while travelling over a rough or bumpy surface, regardless of speed (I have had it occur several times, from 5 to 35 mph). In these cases the ABS is wrongfully triggered under mild braking, then the vast majority of braking power is lost and the car barely stops at all. This braking is completely different in feel and performance from the ABS functioning properly ( I.e. very hard braking on a smooth surface. The brakes work fine in these cases.). this is a common problem that I am hearing about from other 2002 Impreza/WRX owners.

- King Of Prussia, PA, USA

Jan 262002

Impreza 4WD

Brakes did not respond to full pressure applied to the brake pedal after getting in the exit lane of northbound interstate 75 and the I-675 South exchange. Brakes did not slow the car and the car proceeded to swerve off the road, resulting in a rollover of multiple revolutions. Exact number of turns is not known. It was noticed that the brakes had been grinding the day before. Also, the brake pedal had started to feel soft the day of the accident. Air bags, neither front nor side impact bags, did not deploy.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Jan 162002

Impreza 4WD

Vehicle stopping distance in snow increases by a factor of 10 when ABS system is enabled (tested by removing ABS fuse - disables ABS).

- Wauwatosa, WI, USA

Dec 022001

Impreza 4WD

The ABS system does not adaquately brake over a bumpy road surface. I have almost crashed into other cars as a result of the ABS system not allowing the car to brake anything like as fast as it should.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Sep 012001

Impreza 4WD

The brakes that come standard on this vehicle are nowhere near sufficient for a vehicle with this level of performance. My brakes are scored, have grooves, and have chips and burrs. During my hour commute to work I experience brake fade and brake shudder in the steering wheel. The dealer tells me these problems are "normal." Well, if you're going to sell me a car that accellerates and handles like a race car, it should be able to stop like one as well. Or at least stop at all! this vehicle requires larger, more performance oriented brakes right from the factory. I hope Subaru handles this quickly.

- Newark, DE, USA