4.1

2002 Subaru Impreza drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Subaru Impreza:

2002 Subaru Impreza Owner Comments

Sep 152002

Impreza

My car is a total lemon. I pre-ordered the 2002 WRX in 2001 and was very anxious to receive it. As soon as I got the car the check engine light was on. The dealer diagnosed the problem as a cam position sensor wich they replaced 3 times. They told me I revved the car too high to throw the code. The code was thrown at 6200 RPM and the engine redlines at 7000. The dealership refused to work on this problem after the 3rd time. At 45000 miles my car began to miss and not run correctly. The dealership could not find any problem with it. I took it to another shop to get a 2nd opinion. They found that the cam position sensor had malfunctioned and caused my car to missfire when I would hit a bump in the road. They replaced the sensor and charged me a fee of $800 due to the massive troubleshooting work that led up to solving the problem. Finally the problem that I had since the car was brand new was fixed at the full cost to me. At 48000 my transmission was the next to go. I lost the ability to shift my car in any gear. I had it towed to the dealership as the powertrain warranty is 60000 miles. They dismantled my transmission to find 2nd gear stripped. They then denied to cover this under warranty as it was labeled abuse. They charged me $800 dollars for their time. Then then gave me a quote for $4500 extra dollars to replace the transmission. I had my car towed to the same shop that fixed my check engine light. They installed a new transmission for me at the cost of $2200. My transmisson has also broke again at 65000 miles. Now I have a car that doesn't run that I am paying on. I can not sell a car that doesn't run. Subaru does not care that their cars are junk. I really do not know what to do now.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 152003

Impreza

Grinding of the gears when shifting from 3rd-4th gear. Started with a very mild noise, has progressed to a loud grind. Took it in for warrant service and they said that the determination of warranty coverage would be made by a regional representative after the transmission was removed. I checked on the internet and found that many other owners were experiencing the same problem and being denied warranty coverage after the transmission was removed unless they were willing to sign one time repair agreement voiding the remainder of the warranty. I have been told by the dealer that I will probably be required to sign one even though I have not agreed to have the transmission removed or dissassembled yet. They are unwilling to give me any information on the number of similar repairs that have been covered or denied under warranty and will not give me any objective criteria that will be used to make the warranty determination.

- Spanish Fort, AL, USA

Jun 152003

Impreza

Differential fluid out; Subaru blames a non-dealer oil change error for problem hence not covered under warranty. Owner had to spend over $350 for replacement auto rental. Owner drove car for 1,700 miles after disputed non-dealer oil change to date when differential fluid outage discovered.

- Meriden, CT, USA