1.4

2004 Subaru Impreza transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Subaru Impreza:

2004 Subaru Impreza Owner Comments

Jun 052009

Impreza

I was driving my 2004 Subaru Impreza outback sport when I had a flat tire (right rear). I changed the tire, using the "donut" in the car. I drove another 25 miles no faster than 40 mph, and us. Slower. Then a driver behind me flashed her lights signaling me to stop. I stopped and learned my car was burning underneath, near the back. When I had the car looked at, I found that the rear differential was badly damaged. In the owner's manual, persons with automatic transmissions are instructed to use a switch to turn off the AWD when driving on the "donut." Otherwise, damage to the differential is likely. However, no such switch exists for cars with manual transmissions, which I have. I followed the instructions, not going more than 50 mph or more than 50 miles on the donut. But I did extensive damage anyway, and the fire (which was caused by the heat of the differential setting the undercoating on fire) could have been dangerous.

- Williamstown, MA, USA