2009 Subaru Impreza brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Subaru Impreza:

2009 Subaru Impreza Owner Comments

Mar 012016

I was driving on the highway with cruise control on and activated. I am not sure which speed it was set to (it would have been between 65-85). As I was driving, I approached a car in front of me and depressed the brake pedal with my right foot. I did not deactivate the cruise control first, because braking should deactivate it. When I pressed the brake pedal, it was completed jammed and would not move at all. I then lifted my foot, and pushed the brake again. I then slammed by foot down on the brake and it would not move. The whole time I couldn't depress the brake the cruise control was still active and I was coming very close to the car in front of me. I then depressed the clutch and the cruise control was deactivated, and the brake pedal then was not stuck and it worked as usual. After this, everything in the car seemed to work normally. I came extremely close to having an accident on the highway because of this problem and I could have killed myself or others. I had to swerve in order to avoid an accident on the highway and it was extremely stressful.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 092015

Rear left brake started making a scraping sound as if the brake pads were worn and gouging the rotor, also the brake pedal was pulsating as if the rotor was warped. Upon inspection I noticed that the brake pads were not worn but in fact the smooth surface on the back side of the rotor was chipping away and the rotor was very rough, . these are the original rotors and the rear left was the only one with this problem although the rear right rotor was worn badly also but the pads barely showed any wear. These rear brake pads are the second set since the car was purchased new by me.

- New London, WI, USA

Apr 052015

Front end collision, vehicle totalled. Seat belt failure. Brake failure. Airbags failed to deploy. Multiple injuries sustained.

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Nov 052014

Car used as daily driver to commute less than 14 miles round trip for work. Clutch began to develop a pop noise which then turned into a loud squeak followed by more than a 1/2" of movement to the left that the brake pedal would start to move when the clutch would be depressed. After further investigation of reading local owners threads and asking around I have found that the welds that hold my brake and clutch together have broken and are continuing to break which could lead to my clutch pedal assembly falling down to the floor board which could potentially render me from using my brake pedal. This is a common issue with all Subaru Impreza WRX and sti owners which can be found on multiple local owners club websites and could affect bodily harm to drivers of the cars and other drivers on the road! Subaru refuses to acknowledge that this is a problem and in most cases will not cover repair costs!

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 202014

My car started making this really loud popping noise everytime I would engage the clutch. What has happened in the past when I press on the brake pedal my foot has shifted off the pedal due to a fast sudden move from the clutch and brake assembly. I drove the car to Texas to visit family and decided to take the car for oil change before returning to California. There the service manager at Subaru in Texas, which drove my car to the service area, asked me if I had noticed the clicking noise and I told him yes. He then informed me that many 2008-2009 Impreza WRX have problems with weld spots which hold the brake and clutch assembly to the fire wall that then fail and brake off. He gave advice on how to look for broken welds, so as soon as I arrived to California I further inspected for the broken welds and sure enough he was right. So I contacted Subaru of America and described the defect on my car to have them repair it since it's a safety defect, specially with critical components of the car which are the clutch and brake pedal. As of today 11/5/2014 they have yet to decide if they are covering the repairs because my car is currently 85K and its no longer under warranty. Also, they are blaming the clutch because it has been replaced prior to me purchasing the car with an oem replacement clutch. I have never experienced such a nightmare with any vehicle that I have ever owned. I really hope NHTSA does something before any fatalities or accidents occur. I am currently going threw this right now, so I have yet to find out what they are going to do with my car. I really need help from NHTSA, even if they fix my car, Subaru needs to notify owners of this year and models of this problem. All over the internet there are people with the same issue and others that are yet to go threw. Owners need to be aware and cautious about this important fabrication defect.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Feb 222014

The contact owns a 2009 Subaru Impreza. The contact stated while driving 55 mph, burning fumes were emitted into the vehicle. The contact mentioned that while attempting to merge to the side of the road, black smoke started coming from the vehicle. The contact and passenger immediately exited the vehicle and moments later the vehicle was completely engulfed in flames. No injuries were reported. A police report was filed. The forensics examiner determined that the ABS fluid leaked on the engine causing the fire. The vehicle was destroyed. The dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 28,000.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Sep 242012

The bracket that attaches the clutch and brake pedals to the inside firewall has separated from its spot welds and is causing a loud creaking noise, as well as difficulty with shifting gears, and decreased braking ability. Very dangerous situation as it affects your ability to control the vehicle properly.

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Aug 162012

Impreza 4-cyl

My clutch started squeaking while driving on the highway. When depressing the clutch, the brake pedal moves toward the drivers side and down. Upon further inspection, I noticed the spot welds that hold the clutch and brake assembly to car were broken and starting to separate from the firewall. Eventually, the welds will fail and completely remove the assembly from the firewall. Thus, clutch and braking abilities will be gone and cause an accident.

- Indiana, PA, USA