2012 Subaru Impreza engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Subaru Impreza:

2012 Subaru Impreza Owner Comments

Aug 052016

Impreza

On three separate occasions (April 10, 2016, June 13, 2016 and August 5, 2016),suddenly and without warning, the car stopped responding to gas pedal input, stopped running, and coasted to a stop. The engine would continue to run, but the car would not move. Fortunately the incidents occurred while on city streets, and not on the freeway. Had I been on the freeway, I would have been rear ended. That would have had tragic, perhaps fatal consequences. The car is currently at the dealer's for repair after the third and latest incident. I had taken it to the dealer's after each of the other incidents as well.

- Bountiful, UT, USA

Jun 272016

Impreza

The contact owns a 2012 Subaru Impreza. While attempting to exit a parking lot, the vehicle accelerated independently without warning. The contact mentioned that the vehicle resumed normal operation after engaging the brakes. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 57,000. Updated 09/28/16

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Apr 172016

Impreza

I was driving on the highway and I was accelerating to pass someone when all of a sudden my car revved up very high and accelerated very fast to an unintended speed. I braked with no effect. I put all my weight on the brake, almost standing up, for about 10 seconds, then I heard a loud snap under the car, like I just unstuck something, then it revved back down to a controllable speed. If it wasnt for the fact it was early morning and there weren't as many cars around me on this highway I would have surely been hit or hit somebody else. Very scary. Luckily, I didn't, and my car's been driving okay for past few days ; it is at the dealership as I write this (4/21/16) getting checked out.

- Paoli, PA, USA

Aug 042014

Impreza 4-cyl

Upon entering a parking garage and parking, the car accelerated on its own and crashed into a cement wall. I was driving slowly having just made several turns within the garage and then aligned, as usual, with the lines to park. The car revved extremely high and took off straight into the wall throwing me back in to the seat. I only needed to softly tap the brakes to break normally, but it took off. After the incident, I made sure to check the foot pedal area to see if anything was interfering with the gas, but nothing was near. The mats are cut well away from the pedals. I suffered burns/scrapes from the seat belt across my collar bone, whiplash from the impact, as well as, a sore chest also from the impact and seat belt. I felt like the car was possessed and took over. I refuse to drive this vehicle again. I am scared that someone could have been hurt, or worse, due to this defect in the car.

- Attleboro, MA, USA

Aug 022013

Impreza 4-cyl

Driving about 30 - 35mph when all of a sudden the car lost power. The car did not stall, but engine went down to idle speed and my accelerator pedal had no throttle control. The "check engine " light came on as well as the "traction control" light. I drifted to the right shoulder of the road and turned engine off. After opening the hood to check engine - observed nothing unusual - I re-started the car. The car seemed back to normal, but the engine code lights stayed on. The warning lights eventually turned themselves off - 3 or 4 re-starts later. Subaru dealer reported a P2138 obd code, but he did not replace/repair anything. The same exact thing happened 9 months later (July 2, 2014), and Subaru dealer reported a P2138 code once again. No repairs or replacements done!

- East Islip, NY, USA

Jan 052014

Impreza 4-cyl

While driving in normal circumstances, engine power cut out, and complete loss of throttle control occurred. The car could only accelerate extremely slowly, and not past 20-25 mph. Thankfully not on a high-speed road. Managed to get home (barely), car worked fine the next day. Dealer found obd code P0128, reprogrammed ECM to remove the code. The same problem had occurred ~1 year previously due to a faulty accelerator position sensor (NHTSA complaint recently filed). Dealer claims causes are unrelated. This can be a serious safety concern if it occurs on a highway, we no longer feel safe driving this car.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Sep 122012

Impreza 4-cyl

While driving in normal circumstances, engine power was lost, and complete loss of throttle control occurred. Car would accelerate extremely slowly, and not past 20-25 mph (presumably 'engine fail-safe mode'?). thankfully not on a high-speed road. Obd code was P2138, indicating a faulty accelerator position sensor, which was replaced by dealer under warranty.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA