7.0

2000 Subaru Legacy transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Subaru Legacy:

2000 Subaru Legacy Owner Comments

Nov 202014

Legacy GT LMT 2.5L

When shifting into drive the transmission does not engage immediately. Revving the engine for 15 seconds to 3 minutes usually causes it to engage. Once engaged, it is fine until the next time you shift into drive. Reverse works fine. The car has only 63,000 miles. I bought this car new in December, 2000. I choose a Subaru because of all the rave reviews from friends.....plus it is AWD and I live in New England with our sometimes terrible winters. This is the most major problem. I always thought the transmission shifted strangely and question the dealer (Anchor Subaru) early on about my concern. I was told the transmission was fine. Needless to say, this is NOT the best car I have ever bought. By the way, I have treated this car very kindly. At 61 years old, I am far away from the days of running a car hard.

- , Pawtucket, RI, USA

Jun 162009

Legacy

Trans goes right into reverse like it should but when you put trans in drive it takes time to go into gear. Once it goes in gear it shifts and operates perfectly

- , Franklinville, NJ, USA