CarComplaints.com Notes: A relatively dependable vehicle that handles well in bad weather, but increasing concerns about turbo failure in the GT probably means you should look elsewhere if you want a car with a little pep in its step.

1.4

2005 Subaru Legacy engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Subaru Legacy:

2005 Subaru Legacy Owner Comments

Apr 162015

Legacy

While pressing the accelerator there was no response. The car continued at its normal idle, but pressing on the gas gave no response. I was able to coast to a stop off the road and turn the car off and back on, which fixed the problem the first time. This has happened again two times as of today and it took several times turning the car off and back on to get use of the accelerator again. This seems like a safety issued, and of course a problem that could easily leave me and my kids stranded or injured in an accident if I were traveling at higher speeds when the problem occurs. I've read online that it seems to be a common problem with Subaru. The code that I received was P2138 (throttle position sensor).

- Bayfield, CO, USA

Jan 012015

Legacy

The contact owns a 2005 Subaru Legacy. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle independently accelerated. The contact had to shift into neutral and shut the vehicle off in order for it to resume normal operation. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 190,000.

- Gardner, ME, USA

Apr 012014

Legacy

The contact owns a 2005 Subaru Legacy. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Sharpsburg, MD, USA

Aug 122013

Legacy

The contact owns a 2005 Subaru Legacy. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate from a stop, the vehicle was slow to respond. The RPM gauge moved despite the accelerator pedal being depressed and the vehicle then stalled. The vehicle was independently diagnosed as having a throttle body sensor failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 146,000.

- High Falls, NY, USA

Dec 222012

Legacy 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway, and the car seem to loose power, luckily I noticed it, as I was able to cost over to the side of the rode. I own a carmd, and attached it to my car, it gave me code P2138 which means the throttle position sensors (2 of them) not being in agreement. I think this is very dangerous as this can happen at any time while one is driving, potential leading to a accident or fatality.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Oct 142012

Legacy 4-cyl

Car has been very slow to reduce rpms when shifting gears or when stopped (and in neutral) for the past few weeks. Today, when pulling into a starbucks, the car surged forward. Luckily I have a stick shift and just pushed the clutch in. After surging, the check engine light came on. Using a diagnostic tool, I found that the car is throwing error code P2138. This indicates that the accelerator pedal position (app) sensor is either bad or has a poor connection. The detail on the error stats "the ECM has detected that the app sensor 1 and app sensor 2 disagree more than 4.5% for less than 1 second." Essentially, one or both throttle-by-wire circuits isn't functioning properly. I went online and found that this is an all too common problem and some folks have found that their cars are surging forward, threatening safety.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Jun 102008

Legacy

I have 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5I, base model. First the rattling noise by the driver side dash board and the cruise control failed, which it is already on recall status (cruise control only). Now, the clutch is failing by engine cutting off in the middle of driving when the clutch is engaged-- I mean while driving over 60 miles. I consider it is life threatening situation where the car manufacture should look into it.

- Woodstock, MD, USA

Jan 122008

Legacy 4-cyl

Cruise control randomly disengages while driving under normal conditions, causing a sudden and unexpected loss of vehicle speed.

- Burton, MI, USA