2009 Subaru Legacy seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Subaru Legacy:

2009 Subaru Legacy Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 012016

Legacy

Takata airbags-- incident not mv related-- beaurucratic issue. I have received no help getting my airbags replaced. Tried several dealers. Their lies do not match up. Getting the run around. Very upset. Unacceptable service or lack there of, really.

- Amherst, VA, USA

Jun 012016

Legacy

Received NHTSA recall no. 16V-358 back in June 2016. Have not been contacted by Subaru since to replace the airbag and it says not to have a passenger in the front seat, which is difficult for over 4 months.

- Somers, NY, USA

Aug 062015

Legacy

Airbag dashboard cluster light started being intermittent and now on all the time. Does it mean the sensor is bad or the airbag. Since the car mat be part of the takata recall. I am not sure what the issue

- West Falmouth, MA, USA

Aug 232016

Legacy

I noticed airbag sign comes on even after the recall for airbag was completed on the car within last 10 days. The dealer says it will cost $350 dollars to investigate and repair as an approximate estimate for budgeting over the phone. So I did internet search on similar problems, and found out via youtube videos and car mechanic blogs that it is Subaru's electrical solder problem (electrical connection) that triggers the passenger airbag light on and off intermittently and therefore the airbag warning sign turns red. What is the point of doing a recall when they cannot check the entire system " NHTSA has erred by not mandating manufacturers to "test the entire airbag system for normal functioning". the dealer told me that the only thing the recall does it replace the faulty unit, thats it. So basically, the system may malfunction, but that is not covered by safety airbag recall ? can someone explain me the logic here" a lot of Subaru customers are facing this electrical solder safety problem. Some might not even be aware of the warning light. It is my strongest opinion that NHTSA take this request very seriously and issue an addendum to airbag recalls to test the entire safety system for optimal functioning. Yes, I intended the caps to be on because I cannot stress enough. Meanwhile, a blanket recall should be issues by Subaru to fix the faulty airbag indicator connections that is triggering the warning signs. Check these youtube links to understand the exact issue I am facing: 1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=kjxepano_E8 2) https://www.youtube.com/watch"V=pviahpepj9A also, I am not able to find any documentation that explains if this warning light means that the system has disabled airbags ? if that is the case, can get Subaru's attention and resolution ? or how many people's lives does it take to get the attention"

- Niskayuna, NY, USA

Aug 012016

Legacy

The contact owns a 2009 Subaru Legacy. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made a aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

Jun 102016

Legacy

The contact owns a 2009 Subaru Legacy. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V358000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Bangor, ME, USA

Jan 062015

Legacy

The passenger air bag light on the dash board goes on and off periodically on my 2009 Subaru Legacy. Some days it does not come on at all, and other days if will do it 2 or 3 times, sometimes staying on for the entire time the vehicle is turned on. It doesn't matter if a passenger is in the seat or not - although usually I don't have a passenger in the seat. This started happening at 80K miles, and I now have 100K. Subaru dealership wants to charge $100 to diagnose it, but probably a sensor that needs replaced in their opinion at a cost of $500. Appears to be a problem for other owners of make / model / year of Subaru. I think this should be a Subaru issue that is looked at by an independent party before something catastrophic happens.

- Denver, CO, USA

Oct 082013

Legacy

Airbag light goes on and off. No accidents on the vehicle. This started after 70000 miles on the vehicle. Lights keeps on under extreme temperature conditions (below 32 F and above 80F)

- Waterloo, IA, USA

Aug 262015

Legacy

Starting in fall of 2014 the passenger airbag light would go on & off intermittently; during the following winter the light rarely came on. Once warm weather hit in may of 2015 the light continually stays on. There seems to be no correlation to the passenger seat being occupied or not occupied. In light of the recent airbag recall for earlier Subaru models, Subaru may want to check into their 2009 models as there appears to be several other similar instances recorded on this site. I'm concerned about the safety issue (not knowing if the bag will deploy properly, if at all) & do not have thousands of dollars for repair costs of something that appears to be happening in other like vehicles.

- Emmaus, PA, USA

Mar 032015

Legacy

The air bag indicator lights up on the panel when I start my car engine and the indicator light stays on and never goes off while I drive. I am worried that the air bags will release unnecessarily while I'm driving.

- Peekskill, NY, USA

May 072013

Legacy

Seems to be a common problem but the red air bag light won't go off in my car. It used to be intermittent but is now staying in longer. Only had a slight accident where a lady couldn't stop in time on black ice and only chipped paint off my rear bumper (no deployed air bags though). The passenger side lights work fine. I think it's absurd that safety features this important aren't covered for the life of the vehicle. Not to mention a Subaru dealer wanting $100 just to diagnose it for a code. Wow.

- East Canton, OH, USA

Mar 192014

Legacy 4-cyl

Passenger side air bag light comes on and off intermittently.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Oct 312012

Legacy

I had the dealership install a Subaru remote starter for my 2009 Subaru Legacy. About a year later I started having issues with having the air bag light come on when I started the car and stay on (with remote starter, or the normal way). Sometimes it would re-set if I turned the car off and on again. But recently it just stays on and the indicator lights on the over head display (for the passenger air bag) does not light up at all. Not sure if the remote starter was the instigator (probably not), but Subaru had said that the issue is a faulty sensor and that I would have to pay to fix it. I believe this should last the life of the car since it is a safety matter for the air bag system, this should be a recall.

- Brattleboro, VT, USA

Apr 172014

Legacy 4-cyl

After the vehicle is started the air bag light stays on while driving and will sometimes turn itself off when the car is turned off with the ignition key. Then I restart the car and the air bag light goes away. This is happening once or twice a week.

- Waukegan, IL, USA

Jan 262015

Legacy 4-cyl

The airbag red light on the dashboard of our Subaru Legacy 2009 comes on intermittently. From reading personal accounts of other owners online, this appears to be a common problem with this model years 2005-2009 and has been commonly reported to be either a malfunctioning airbag control module or a faulty line or sensor in the diver's seat. Both of these result in a costly repair of approximately $2,000. Also happened to us, and another common complaint by other owners online with these models, is the passenger airbag light automatically turns on or off regardless of whether the passenger seat is occupied. Despite the abundance of personal accounts online by owners, Subaru has not acknowledged this problem and dealerships are asking owners to pay for this fix. Please note that our car for example has only 41K mies on it, and other reports also indicate this occurring with relatively low miles and vehicle age. I hope that NHTSA with investigate and I look forward to hearing back on this issue.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Nov 012012

Legacy 4-cyl

My airbag warning light has periodically gone off & on over the last 2 years. I currently have less than 45,000 miles on it. Of course the day I had an appointment with Subaru, the light would not appear. Hoping airbag will work if ever in an accident.

- Paris, PA, USA

May 012014

Legacy

Air bag light came on. No accident. On smooth road. It has gone off and than comes back on. Will go off for a couple of days and than stay lit for a couple of days. Independent auto shop that services Subaru's states this is common and can send it out to Subaru for service. Contacted Subaru dealer and they stated it is common. They will test and diagnosis, but may need to remove and replace. I have extended warranty that will not cover diagnosis, only failure. Subaru should replace at no charge. 2nd. Item. Took car in due to exhaust systems vibration. Was told is common problem. Dealer offered me temporary fix for $100 to put screws and adhesive to correct problem. Or pay $700 to remove and replace with new. I elected for the $100 fix. As this was diagnosed over the phone and is common, this should be a manufacture fix.

- Neptune City, Nj, NJ, USA

Jun 022014

Legacy

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I SE. The air bag warning light illuminated. Notified dealership. I was told to brig the vehicle to be checked if eventual is covered by warranty. I already new it's not- they just tried to get me in and make some money out of their safety problem. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 23,000. Researched on internet and seems like many people have the same problem and the repair is $1900- 2000, which is ripoff for safety problem and should be fixed by Subaru of America for free.

- Oak Creek, WI, USA

Jan 222014

Legacy 4-cyl

My 2009 Subaru Legacy airbag module became defective at approximately 74,970 miles. While driving the vehicle, I noticed that the red airbag light suddenly came on the instrument panel indicating a problem. As this vehicle was never in an accident, and is seldom driven as I purchased another vehicle, the vehicle was brought to the Subaru dealer. I did take note that the airbag light would come on and go off. The dealer found the error code while running diagnostics on the vehicle, and contacted Subaru to determine what needed to be replaced. I was informed that the airbag module needed to be replaced. Fortunately, the airbag module was covered by an extended warranty covering the vehicle until 75,000 miles. The diagnostics, labor and deductible were not covered by the extended warranty. Is this a known failure for Subaru vehicles, or an isolated incident/module failure due to the miles on the car?

- North Branford, CT, USA

Apr 012013

Legacy

Air bag light turns on. Sometimes will not be on but now is starting to be on most of the time. Multiple people having the same problem.

- Centennial, CO, USA