3.5

2010 Subaru Legacy brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Subaru Legacy:

2010 Subaru Legacy Owner Comments

Dec 072014

Legacy

I had a major safety issue with my 2010 Subaru Legacy while driving on the freeway. The car was doing approximately 50 mph and I accelerated to change lanes and all of a sudden the car lost all power and eventually came to a complete halt right in the middle of fast moving traffic. I turned on my hazard light, put the car to park and restarted. The car would start but would shut down slowly in the next 2-3 seconds even before I could put it to drive and accelerate. I noticed that all the lights in the dash like traction control, check engine, etc all lit up and the car just slowly died. After trying it one more time (with same results) I shut off the car completely and started calling aaa for towing. After about a minute when I tried to re-start the car, it sprang up to life normally (I.e. without a slow shut-down like the prior two times) and accelerated when I put it to drive like nothing had happened. I was then able to get off the freeway for safety and popped the hood to see if there was anything on the surface that I could find wrong. Everything looked fine, I was even able to get back home all on the freeway normally. I tried to stay on the right lane and simulate the same (I.e. doing decent speed and then accelerating), but everything was normal. Sunday being mandatory dealership closures in NJ I was not able to bring it to the dealership. The whole incident was completely random and was needless to say extremely dangerous and stressful. I have contacted Subaru of America and waiting for their response. In the interim I wanted to post this to NHTSA in case other such incidents have been reported.

- Secaucus, NJ, USA